Gear lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Gear lube

Where do you purchase your gear lube for your Studebaker? Mine is a 48 Champion.
    I have tried several places locally and none have SAE 90 hypoid for the differential or SAE 90 mineral oil for the transmission. I have also tried to find SAE 40 non-detergent for the transmission with no luck. My local NAPA store is trying to find the 40 non-detergent and cannot find a supplier.
    I would prefer to have the SAE 90 mineral oil but they just give me a blank look.
    Thanks for your help.
    73, Jim

go back to NAPA and ask for 65-201 that is their part # for 1 gallon of GL1 oil. this is want you want in your transmission. any parts store should carry the 90weight GL4/GL5 that you need for your differential

Originally posted by 9echo View Post
    Where do you purchase your gear lube for your Studebaker? Mine is a 48 Champion.
    I have tried several places locally and none have SAE 90 hypoid for the differential or SAE 90 mineral oil for the transmission. I have also tried to find SAE 40 non-detergent for the transmission with no luck. My local NAPA store is trying to find the 40 non-detergent and cannot find a supplier.
    I would prefer to have the SAE 90 mineral oil but they just give me a blank look.
    Thanks for your help.
    73, Jim

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Thank you Russ.
      I had to drive about 20 miles, but got what we needed.
      Many thanks.
      73, Jim

Comment

Purchase the 85-90 Hypoid at NAPA this morning. My they truly value this stuff. $10 per quart.
        At least I am now ready to change the gear lube. Should I flush the gear cases with kerosene before adding the new grease?
        I am leaning toward flushing as the car has probably not had the lube changed in the last 50 years.
        Thanks for your suggestions.
        73, Jim

Comment

It pays to shop around I haven't bought any 85-90 wt in a while. Discount auto stores, checker autozone or even walmart can often beat the price at NAPA when it comes to specialty stuff or actually having to find you parts you can't beat NAPA.
          On the subject of flush I prefer Brake Clean in the aerosol can It drys super fast, caution it can remove paint. It will clean much better then the kerosene. Mop out the excess in the bottom after you've flushed it then let it air dry prior to putting the cover back on .
          Originally posted by 9echo View Post
          Purchase the 85-90 Hypoid at NAPA this morning. My they truly value this stuff. $10 per quart.
          At least I am now ready to change the gear lube. Should I flush the gear cases with kerosene before adding the new grease?
          I am leaning toward flushing as the car has probably not had the lube changed in the last 50 years.
          Thanks for your suggestions.
          73, Jim

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
          57 SH (project)
          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Thank you all. Gear lube is changed, and both gear boxes were flush with kerosene.
            I keep finding little things that need to be fixed. I found Saturday that the new fuel line
            has a slow leak. That will be the next thing. I have need for at least one 1129 bulb for
            the turn signals. No luck locally. I should have asked Don Gay when I was over there
            Friday. For any of you who have not had the privilege of meeting Don and viewing his facility,
            It is a treasure trove of Stude parts.
            73, Jim,

Comment

Working...
            X