No announcement yet.

I Forgot How Quickly Things Come Apart.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Forgot How Quickly Things Come Apart.

Took the front clip off the 62 Lark this weekend preparing for the Chevy V8 swap. I forgot how quickly stuff can come apart when it's not rusted which fortunately mine isn't. I have a couple questions though.

1) Where the fenders were bolted to the cowl (by the door posts) there are rectangular rubber pads between the fenders and the cowl. Is that correct? This is my first Studebaker, but other cars I've removed fenders from always had metal washers or shims.
    2) Also, I want to remove the engine and trans together. Does anyone know how much an OHV six and the Flightomatic trans weigh together? I just want to be sure I do it safely.

Also, while the engine is sold, the transmission is avaialble if anyone is interested in making me an offer.

Not sure on the lark, but if it's like a c/k, there are indeed rubber pads or strips between the fenders and cowl. They came in the rubber kit supplied by S.I. Sounds like you're doing it right. Good luck.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Suggestion for you, before you put those fenders back on, put studs in the cowl then use nuts to secure the fenders and whatever spacers are needed to get the gap right. Doing this instead of using bolts will make it so much easier to mount and adjust the fenders if you are working alone.

Pat
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Pat, that's a very good suggestion. I wouldn't have thought of that, but that will make it way easier. I also need to shim the inner fenders where they bolt on. At the top of the hood the gap was very small causing paint chips when you open the hood, so I'm going to shim those as well. They had no shims. I'm thinking a previous owner had the fenders off and never shimmed it.

Comment

Working...
        X