Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 61 Lark A/C install

Hi all,
    Putting together all of the parts for the air conditioning install in my 61 wagon. I bought an Old Air under-dash kit and the Vintage Air compressor mount, so its all pretty much ready to roll.
    While I'm in there, I was thinking about installing a new aluminum radiator, but the car seems to keep a decent temp (right in the middle of the temp gauge) so maybe I;ll see how that goes.
    One thing I was considering was installing some electric fans to replace the belt-driven fan. The current fan does not have a shroud, but I have never seen a Lark shroud in person.
    Does anyone have any experience or advice on if I may need the electric fans? I would rather do this once and be done.
    I was also thinking of replacing the generator with an alternator while I was in there, any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Mark

Converting to an alternator is a good step. This site will give you lots of info"

If you then decide you want to go the electric fan route, you can do that easily. Just remember to wire it to a relay. Studebaker wire harnesses arent made for lots of draw.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

And don't mount the fan to the radiator. Mount it to the radiator support. I had one on my 51 and it came lose and split my radiator in the middle of no where New Mexico.

Comment

I was planning on fabbing up a shroud to mount the fans. The core sits about 1/2" from the support, with a 1/4" rubber seal it looks like the shroud will be 3/4" from the core so I think there will be plenty of room for air to get through.
        I guess my question is, is this nessecary or should I just wait to see if we have any cooling issued with the new A/C installed?
        Mark

Comment

i'd wait. better to deal with real problems now, not possible problems later.

may also be better - if the temp does go up - to do an engine & radiator flush, if it's been awhile since the last one, before going to the fan.

nothing against fans, if they're needed...

edit: oh, and yes on the alternator...
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Any suggestions on where to run the hoses to the condenser? I am trying not to do much cutting, but it looks like the only route is through the fenderwell.
            Anyone have a suggestion?
            I am digging in starting today, hope to put in a couple hours a day on it and have it wrapped up this week
            Mark

Comment

Working...
            X