Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P195x75x15 tires, the good and the bad

Background:
    195x75x15 tires have been widely named as the proper replacement for six-cylinder Lark 5.90 or 6.00x15 bias ply tires. However, this size has been pretty much unobtanium for some time.
    Good news:
    I have a set of four American Classic steel belted radial whitewalls (3/4 inch white), size P195x75x15. I just took them off 15x6 rims to put on 215x75x15s to put on my Avanti. I had them on my '64 Daytona Wagonaire, but they were clearly too small. They have about 1,000 miles on them and I will turn them loose for an amazing price- FREE.
    Bad news:
    I put them on the car in May 1994 so they are way old. Anyone paying my price must accept responsibility for any problems arising from such age. I'm also very reluctant to ship though I probably could bring them to Gettysburg, Reedsville or York. Otherwise they would be available for pickup at my place (about 70 miles from Washington, DC or Baltimore, MD).
    On the other hand:
    They are not marred, checked, cracked or otherwise showing that age and they are soft and supple. The car has always been garaged and covered which may account for some of the youthful appearance.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I know what the (semi) conventional wisdom is, but given your description I would not hesitate to use them on a collector-type car.

If you still have them by Reedsville, remind me!
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

If no one takes you up on this generous offer in short order, maybe you could consider a donation to the SNM. They would be great for a display Studebaker. The donation may also give you a tax break.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

215 75 15 I have found to be a great fit for lots of Larks and Hawk type when using the 15 X 6 X 4.2" bakspaced Ford wheels. I agree that 195's are just too durned small. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I tried the 215's on my 57 stock wheels. Did not work. Kept rubbing on the inside and caused flats. Used the 195's w/o a problem. But, yes, they look too darn small! Went back to bias tires.
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

My tires 215 75R 15 were previously mounted on my GT Hawk when it was equipped with OEM wheels from the factory. 15 X 4.50 "X 4.50. Not a problem other than the hubcaps trying to cut into the valve stems. I replaced the wheels for 1995 Lincoln Town Car alloy RWD wheels 15 X 6.50" X 4.50" with the very same tires with no problem whatsoever. I can understand your dilemna however possibly your wheels were not OEM and may have been meant for perhaps a FWD application and/or your rear end{axle might have been replaced with one of different dimensions other than a Stude unit. cheers jimmijim P.S. I've got a like set/combination installed on a 55 President Coupe. I fail to see issue with these either. cheers jimmijim
            STUDE WHEEL 1963 HAWK 15 X 4.50 X 4.50--- backspacing 4.25 inch
            1995 Lincoln Town Car rwd 15 X 6.50 X 4.50 backspacing 4.20 inch
            I know others running this same combination. Check your wheel dimensions.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>if you run a combination as this, expect the tires to stick out towards the fender lip bout 2 inches
            Last edited by jimmijim8; 06-21-2011, 12:39 AM.
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Will do, thanks for the data!

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Paul: I've waited 24 hours to see if anyone else wants them and no one has stepped up.
                So, I'd like to have them.
                PM sent about arrangements. Thank you. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Paul: I've waited 24 hours to see if anyone else wants them and no one has stepped up.
                  So, I'd like to have them.
                  PM sent about arrangements. Thank you. BP
                  The tires now belong to Bob. I did like Gary's suggestion about donating them to the SNM had no one stepped up.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Chalk up one more MITZVAH for 53k!

Comment

Working...
                    X