X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 starliner

FYI september issue of Automobile mag.features a 1953
    stude starliner as one of 25 most beautiful cars ever made.
    I agree,however I think the Avanti should have been selected
    also. Especially over at least 4 others!

I don't think the Avanti gets its fair reconition, maybe because it came out so close to the end of Studebaker[?]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I don't think the Avanti gets its fair reconition, maybe because it came out so close to the end of Studebaker[?]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

There's alot of folks who just plain don't like the Avanti styling. I'll admit that it's taken me a long time to warm up to them - only lukewarm, mind you.[8)]
        I agree that they don't get enough recognition for being the avant garde vehicle that they were (never mind that they're a Lark with a fibreglas body), but I think it's that non-universal embracement that keeps them off many of the lists.
        Bourke's classic? No question about it. Fact is, I'm surprized that it's not at the top of EVERY one of these lists that's compiled.[}] We have to remember tho that's it's humans calling the shots and consequently, all bets are off.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There's alot of folks who just plain don't like the Avanti styling. I'll admit that it's taken me a long time to warm up to them - only lukewarm, mind you.[8)]
          I agree that they don't get enough recognition for being the avant garde vehicle that they were (never mind that they're a Lark with a fibreglas body), but I think it's that non-universal embracement that keeps them off many of the lists.
          Bourke's classic? No question about it. Fact is, I'm surprized that it's not at the top of EVERY one of these lists that's compiled.[}] We have to remember tho that's it's humans calling the shots and consequently, all bets are off.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Those of us who LIKE the Avanti styling have to remember that Mr. Biggs is human also....hope I don't have to duck should we meet in Omaha Mr. B.

wagone and the R2 Avanti

Comment

Those of us who LIKE the Avanti styling have to remember that Mr. Biggs is human also....hope I don't have to duck should we meet in Omaha Mr. B.

wagone and the R2 Avanti

Comment

I have owned several '53-'54 Starliners and several Avantis. The Starliner just plain looks good and from any angle. An Avanti looks good from certain angles, like rear 3/4 view, and some detail items, but I, and several auto designers, feel that the entire Avanti design is not cohesive. The idea of the Avanti is good and it is amazing how the design team could take a few existing themes and combine them into one car that has held up under the test of time. I just do not feel that the overall result was one smooth design. That's my opinion and I do not expect everyone to agree with it.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY
                1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have owned several '53-'54 Starliners and several Avantis. The Starliner just plain looks good and from any angle. An Avanti looks good from certain angles, like rear 3/4 view, and some detail items, but I, and several auto designers, feel that the entire Avanti design is not cohesive. The idea of the Avanti is good and it is amazing how the design team could take a few existing themes and combine them into one car that has held up under the test of time. I just do not feel that the overall result was one smooth design. That's my opinion and I do not expect everyone to agree with it.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY
                  1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                  1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I'd have to agree (I'm not sure there has been another time I have agreed with BOTH Gary AND Mr. Biggs [:0])

I LIKE Avantis, but I don't (and can't) love them like I do Starlights and Starliners. The latter do look good from absolutely every angle (yes, I'm prejudice ). Few other cars do. The Avanti is not one of them (IMHO). OTOH, the other plastic '63-64 American car does...the Corvette coupe. There is not a view of the mid-year Corvette that is not attractive (again, MHO).

Yes, those Corvette owners are generally a bore, the parts are overpriced, the cars are over restored, but the cars are simply beautiful. For the same money it is no surprise to me that the '63-64 Corvette out sold Avanti by a substantial margin.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I'd have to agree (I'm not sure there has been another time I have agreed with BOTH Gary AND Mr. Biggs [:0])

I LIKE Avantis, but I don't (and can't) love them like I do Starlights and Starliners. The latter do look good from absolutely every angle (yes, I'm prejudice ). Few other cars do. The Avanti is not one of them (IMHO). OTOH, the other plastic '63-64 American car does...the Corvette coupe. There is not a view of the mid-year Corvette that is not attractive (again, MHO).

Yes, those Corvette owners are generally a bore, the parts are overpriced, the cars are over restored, but the cars are simply beautiful. For the same money it is no surprise to me that the '63-64 Corvette out sold Avanti by a substantial margin.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hey, a good opportunity to show off my Starliner
                        Mine is an early California-built car so the gold paintline script is correct for the solid Chippewa Green. It is a Commander, a/t, p/b radio w/rear speaker, all tinted glass, clock, glove box light,trunk light, fog lights and back-up lights. It originally had the Tri-Star full wheel covers and a Studebaker accessory spotlight/rear view mirror. I found a set of five wire wheel covers in a junkyard for $1.50 (for all of them) and I threw the spotlight away thinking it was an ugly aftermarket item.
                        I have owned a number of Avantis and loved/hated them all. I have only owned one Starliner and I have always loved it. The fact that I have kept the Starliner since 1966, but the Avantis come and go should make a statement I saw the AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE list too and I thought some of their choices were really bad (ugly).
                        I still remember the first '53 Starliner I ever saw. It was probably still 1953. I was just a kid walking down the Main Street of my home town in Southeast Kansas when a man pulled into a parking space driving this incredible car. It was mildly customized, solid white which a light lavendar color following the side crease, but feathered back to white as it went away from the crease. I thought it was the most sensational car I had ever seen and I'm not sure anything has changed my mind in all these years.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                        Museum R-4 engine
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Hey, a good opportunity to show off my Starliner
                          Mine is an early California-built car so the gold paintline script is correct for the solid Chippewa Green. It is a Commander, a/t, p/b radio w/rear speaker, all tinted glass, clock, glove box light,trunk light, fog lights and back-up lights. It originally had the Tri-Star full wheel covers and a Studebaker accessory spotlight/rear view mirror. I found a set of five wire wheel covers in a junkyard for $1.50 (for all of them) and I threw the spotlight away thinking it was an ugly aftermarket item.
                          I have owned a number of Avantis and loved/hated them all. I have only owned one Starliner and I have always loved it. The fact that I have kept the Starliner since 1966, but the Avantis come and go should make a statement I saw the AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE list too and I thought some of their choices were really bad (ugly).
                          I still remember the first '53 Starliner I ever saw. It was probably still 1953. I was just a kid walking down the Main Street of my home town in Southeast Kansas when a man pulled into a parking space driving this incredible car. It was mildly customized, solid white which a light lavendar color following the side crease, but feathered back to white as it went away from the crease. I thought it was the most sensational car I had ever seen and I'm not sure anything has changed my mind in all these years.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                          Museum R-4 engine
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

wagone, I'm not offended. Heck, I've always liked the 58 sedans and there was a time folks would avoid you for that! But I've always felt that you had to behold them for what they were. And they were what Stude thought best to muster for that year of wild styling. Of course, being the 50s were my "formative years", I've always had a soft spot for FINS! So you see my obsession with that years styling.
                            THAT SAID - I've come to appreciate the 53-55 C-Ks much more than I used to. As Dick and Paul intimate, there's hardly an angle that they DON'T look good from. Whether it just fell into place or it IS the genius of Bob Bourke (I think a little of both, and let's not forget those that helped Bob as he wasn't TOTALLY responsible for every little detail), I won't pretend to know.
                            What I do know is that after I brought home the '53 Starlight I found a couple of years ago, I REALLY came to appreciate it's initial impressions and the secondary teases that only get thru to you after you've looked at it LONG and HARD.
                            Avantis are like Salvador Dahli paintings. Truly different, intriguing and revolutionary. But just not seductive to my eye. Not in the way a C-K is.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

wagone, I'm not offended. Heck, I've always liked the 58 sedans and there was a time folks would avoid you for that! But I've always felt that you had to behold them for what they were. And they were what Stude thought best to muster for that year of wild styling. Of course, being the 50s were my "formative years", I've always had a soft spot for FINS! So you see my obsession with that years styling.
                              THAT SAID - I've come to appreciate the 53-55 C-Ks much more than I used to. As Dick and Paul intimate, there's hardly an angle that they DON'T look good from. Whether it just fell into place or it IS the genius of Bob Bourke (I think a little of both, and let's not forget those that helped Bob as he wasn't TOTALLY responsible for every little detail), I won't pretend to know.
                              What I do know is that after I brought home the '53 Starlight I found a couple of years ago, I REALLY came to appreciate it's initial impressions and the secondary teases that only get thru to you after you've looked at it LONG and HARD.
                              Avantis are like Salvador Dahli paintings. Truly different, intriguing and revolutionary. But just not seductive to my eye. Not in the way a C-K is.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                              X