Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1966 commander with a 194,how many where made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 commander with a 194,how many where made?

1966 How many where made? with the 194? 3 on the tree with overdrive. thanks Brian G

Total production for 1966 was 8935 of that there were 4866 Commanders
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

where made?
      Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I have one with NO overdrive. 2 dr Commander.
        Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
        65 Cruiser
        64 Champ
        40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

Wayne, I think 994 Commanders were equiped with the 194, from a total of 1,888 Commanders w/ 6 cylinder engines.

Please share with me your VIN number, body tag numbers, color, plus any options your car might have. I'm creating a registry for all 1966 cars. I hope to have a website ready not long after the national meet. I own 2 '66 commanders: a 4dr (230/automatic) and another 4dr (194 / stick, no overdrive).
          thanks,
          Mike Saltsgaver
          Life member, SDC

Comment

According to information collated by one of our members there were:

S F4 : Commander 2dr sedan 1245
            S F8 : Daytona 2dr 253

S Y4 Commander 4dr 1888

S Y4T Commander 4dr Taxicab 167

S Y9 Cruiser 4dr 414

S P8 Wagonaire 320

Some of these "may/do" have the 230 CI 6cyl engine.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I used to have a very nice 66 commander but from what I could find at the time it was the only one build like it, it had the 194 engine in a 2 door with a long stick floor shift like the taxi cabs used but don't think the cabs were 2 doors, a number of years ago can't remember what year it was but we had a big windstorm and a big limb of an oak tree came down and across the back roof section of the 66 taking out the rear window and doing big time damage to the roof I figured I would just make a convert. out of it but that Dec. of that year in turning wheels they did the article on the 66's and ran the production numbers and that's where I came up with one one built that way so then it changed from being a convert. but back to the original way, so it was fixed and came out nice, it was a pee green with black interior, I ended up selling it to a fellow in Mindon, Nevada as far as I know he still has it and likes the car , it sure did run out nice and shift like a dream one of those I should have not let get away.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I have one of those 994 with the 194 CID engines. It's a 4-dr with zero options. Not even a radio. The beauty is that she only has 35k miles... The bad thing is that she eats Airtex fuel pumps regularly.
                edp/NC
                \'63 Avanti
                \'66 Commander

Comment

Slightly off topic, how many 66 (?) cars were produced with the 230 six? I understand that at first the 230 was only with an automatic, but were any made with manual with or without overdrive? My mother had a 67 Camaro with a 250 which was plenty powerful, even with a Powerglide (NOT a 230, which is interesting in itself, as she also test drove a 230 powered Camaro, so both engines availability might have been a "Canadian thing". The 230 didn't have the chrome badge on the front fenders, but the 250 did)

Another thing--its been many years since I looked at a GM 194-230-250 six closely--were they externally the same or could they be made to look the same, for Studebaker purposes?

Comment

I have slightly different figures on 66 production than John .

Cruisers......2258
                    Daytonas.......873
                    Commanders....4866
                    Wagonaires........938

Total ..........8935
                    sigpic

Comment

It looks like if you subtract the "S" figures that John C provided from the total production figures that 2R5 provided, you end up with the number of V8s produced by model, except for the Commanders because there were 2dr, 4dr (and maybe some V8 taxis? I don't know)
                      Last edited by Jim B PEI; 06-16-2011, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Jim , this is all good info to have , I know mine was total , now I have a bit of a brake down between 6's and 8's , which I didn't have before.
                        sigpic

Comment

Another thing--its been many years since I looked at a GM 194-230-250 six closely--were they externally the same or could they be made to look the same, for Studebaker purposes?
                          Yes, those three can be made to look the same. Only the 292" truck engine is slightly different only if you know where to look. Painted correctly and with the correct decals, few would even have a clue and the 292" can make some serious horsepower and torque.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                            I understand that at first the 230 was only with an automatic, but were any made with manual with or without overdrive?
                            There was a Wagonaire that was special ordered at the beginning of the model year. A standard transmission (with or without overdrive) became available starting January 1966 as per Sales Letter #254. I have two 1966 Commanders here that have a 230 with standard transmission, no overdrive.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 1966commander View Post
                              1966 How many where made? with the 194? 3 on the tree with overdrive. thanks Brian G
                              I have one as a daily driver, its the multi colored one in my profile pic. Gets a steady 19 mpg.
                              Tom
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X