How to tell if it's a 49?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if it's a 49?

I am trying to buy a 1949 R5 pickup, how can I tell by the vin# if it's a 1949?

Serial number listing here: http://www.studegarage.com/REFDATA/2R_sernum.htm
    Rick
    Kingman, AZ

Comment

Thank you, if i'm reading that right, the 1949 truck has a vin number of a 1952 truck?

Comment

The 1949 2R5 trucks started with R5-001 and ended with R5-42500. It's possible that a truck might have been sold new and registered as a different year. You can get the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum to get the exact date it was built.
        Rick
        Kingman, AZ

Comment

Until the mid-1950s, many states still registered vehicles with the engine number. This was a holdover from the days when the ONLY number on many vehicles was the engine number. If the engine was replaced, the dealer was supposed to either stamp the old engine number on the replacement engine, or get a special serial number plate with the old number riveted to the frame. Many didn't bother, which could lead to all kinds of mischief. Be aware also that many states did not issue titles, so proof of ownership was a lot less formal than it is today. It's possible that your truck is really a 52, but had a 49 engine dropped into it at some point, and somehow got registered as a 49. My 54 pickup had a 49 car engine it it when I bought it, and was registered as a 49.

By the time the War ended, all the car companies were giving the vehicle itself a serial number (the term VIN didn't come into use until the early 1980s), which sometimes was the same as the engine number. The states then all switched to using the vehicle serial number for registration.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

I would like to thank everyone for the great information, I went ahead and bought the truck so I might have to bug everyone in future as I start to restore it.

Thank you again!

Rich in Dallas

Comment

Originally posted by rsearles View Post
              I would like to thank everyone for the great information, I went ahead and bought the truck so I might have to bug everyone in future as I start to restore it.

Thank you again!

Rich in Dallas
              I just bought a 1949 2R10 a few weeks ago that I plan to restore. Maybe we can compare notes & photos.

Comment

Paul, here is my e-mail, dallasfleet@gmail.com

Comment

There are some answer's (mostly the same) here in the above link to your other post as well.
                  Congrats on your purchase, we Stude nuts Love pictures so when you have a few
                  and figure out how to post them on the forum, do show,

May I suggest some of the best money you can spend would be on either of these two
                  books/shop manuals, the brown one has all the Studebaker part numbers that our current vendors use to help you in ordering, as well as pictorial views of all the body parts as well as engine, door window, brakes, dashes etc. And the green one, step by step process of how to fix, repair, take apart various systems on your truck.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	manual parts.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1668324 Click image for larger version

Name:	manual shop.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1668323
                  Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 06-16-2011, 05:39 AM.
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Thank you Skip, I have the number off of the engine but I want to double check before I start in that direction. I did order the build sheet from Studebaker with the Vin that is under the seat.

Thank again!

Comment

http://IMG00135-20110615-0608[1]

Comment

Working...
                      X