richdallastx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richdallastx

I am trying to buy a 1949 R5 pickup, how can I tell by the vin# if it's a 1949?

If the vin number is below 42,500 on the 2r5 model. IIRC.....since these trucks were so similar through out the 49-53 year minor changes in equipment make it a challenge for new owners to tell the difference. If you have some pictures of the engine compartment, and cab interior the minor changes are most noticable in these areas.

Welcome aboard. Also a little tid bit for you.......did you know that an interior rear view mirror was actually an extra cost option for the truck your wanting to buy? Mounted to the window divider.

Good luck and hope you get a good deal.
    Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 06-15-2011, 08:23 AM. Reason: edit production numbers
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Thank you, the vin is R5-84759, so there is not a defining number that puts a year model on this? There is not a rear view mirror on the inside or the passenger side door.

Comment

Since you posted twice with the same question we're/you're chasing answers all over the forum. don't worry about it, just be patient for answer's we're not a large group such as the H.A.M.B with instant answers, but the group is pretty quick.

This link contains the VIN production break down.

The VIN you supplied indicates a Mid late, to late, 1952 production 2r5 truck.

Since your original post stated
        "I am trying to buy a 1949 R5 pickup, how can I tell by the vin# if it's a 1949?"

The 42,500 and below, was the defining vin supplied information I was working from.

A truck without a passenger side exterior rear view mirror is pretty common.
        The comment about the interior rear view mirror was just an attempt to plant a little trivia fun into your purchase.
        Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 06-15-2011, 08:21 AM.
        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X