Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am going to broach Borgeson on them making integral PS gears for 1951+ Stude cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: I am going to broach Borgeson on them making integral PS gears for 1951+ Stude cars.

Precedent has been set with Borgeson making integral PS gears for 1960's small Fords (Falcons, Mustangs, etc.) and now they offer similar units for 1952-64 big Ford and 1962-67 Chevy II Novas.

Now I'm going to attempt to place a bug in that company's ear for similar units on 1951 up Studebaker passenger cars.

Welcome to our on-line store and product catalog. You can search for Borgeson products for your vehicle by year, make and model below or search for all products using the categories list. To clear vehicle selection and view all products just click on the change vehicle button.
    Last edited by 1962larksedan; 06-14-2011, 07:58 PM. Reason: Added the Borgeson link.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Sign me up for one.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Good luck. I'll take 2. thanks jimmijim

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
      Precedent has been set with Borgeson making integral PS gears for 1960's small Fords (Falcons, Mustangs, etc.) and now they offer similar units for 1952-64 big Ford and 1962-67 Chevy II Novas.

Now I'm going to attempt to place a bug in that company's ear for similar units on 1951 up Studebaker passenger cars.

http://www.borgeson.com/
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Sign me up also--lot's easier than a rack conversion, and a whole lot less leaks to deal with. Remind them that all the Avanti II owners (till '85) would probably love one also, giving a larger customer target. Maybe even offer them some really inexpensive advertising in SDC. Ratio should be on quick side 3 turns L to L, If more I'll still need to add the "quick turn" steering arms.

Comment

Received an e mail from Borgeson: they seem uncomfortable about doing up a PS conversion due to the sector shaft position (it points towards the centerline of the car).

Maybe if a few other posters; especially ones who live near Connecticut may be able to talk Borgeson into the R & D by providing a guinea pig and possibly a 1950's Saginaw Stude integral gear for mock ups.

Agains; Borgeson may or may not want to get involved but, it's may be worth a try.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

If they were to have a gear case cast that flipped the GM or Ford innards 90 degrees and have the right mounting bosses they could use all their current parts, maybe. I've toyed with that idea, but don't have the bucks to have one made and machined. It would have to be universal, being able to mount on any year to make it financially worthwhile, I'm not sure if Stude drilled the frame differently for the different boxes it used or if they are all the same pattern. They could also offer it as a "hot rod box" that transmitts the steering motion forward and back to the left spindle and then across by single tie rod as some street rods did early on.
            Last edited by karterfred88; 06-15-2011, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure if Stude drilled the frame differently for the different boxes it used or if they are all the same pattern.
              At least for '53 up that I am aware, the mounting flange on the box is different for C/K vs sedans due to the angle of the steering column being steeper on the sedans. So, the casting for the box housing is different between the 2 body styles. However, for the saginaw integral PS boxes, they used a different bolt-on bracket to the box to mount to the frame so the box itself is the same for C/K vs sedan but the brakets are different. The actual frame mounting holes are the same for all, it was the box/bracket that changes.

The last paragraph does not address the length of the columns are different for C/K vs sedan and also the lengths changed in '57 along with the shaft diameters. I would expect a new aftermarket box to fit would use a rag joint and then need a aftermarket column and wheel too? Either that or the number of years/body styles would be more limited.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                At least for '53 up that I am aware, the mounting flange on the box is different for C/K vs sedans due to the angle of the steering column being steeper on the sedans. So, the casting for the box housing is different between the 2 body styles. However, for the saginaw integral PS boxes, they used a different bolt-on bracket to the box to mount to the frame so the box itself is the same for C/K vs sedan but the brakets are different. The actual frame mounting holes are the same for all, it was the box/bracket that changes.

The last paragraph does not address the length of the columns are different for C/K vs sedan and also the lengths changed in '57 along with the shaft diameters. I would expect a new aftermarket box to fit would use a rag joint and then need a aftermarket column and wheel too? Either that or the number of years/body styles would be more limited.
                Good catch there about the different steering gear configurations between the C/K's and everyone else. Repopping 'Saginaw' style brackets should be no drama assuming the ca. 1959 up and Avanti to 1985 vehicles all us the same frame bolt pattern as the older vehicles.

Steering column: if it were me; I would make said aftermarket integral PS gear fit in the confines of a sedan engine compartment with a modified (as needed) column and the C/K's, simply use a coupler made up to fit.

Read that one stg gear for everyone, two mtg brackets (sedans and C/K's) and a steering column extension coupler for the C/K's.

If there are additional variations; please chime in

Note the above would apply to 1951 up passenger vehicles only; the 1950 on down are a different kettle of fish.

Comment

Working...
                X