Does anyone know this Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know this Hawk?

I have a friend that's looking at buying this Hawk. Is there anything that looks like he might should stay away from it? How correct is it? Is the interior right? And how's the price?

He'll be buying it to finish a car that the resto-shop abandoned, and wants a good, correct example to use as a reference car.

If he is going to use this '58 Silver Hawk as a reference, Matthew, advise him that it needs a battery hold-down! <GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If that's the only issue with this car, then he should be okay!

Comment

Hey Matt, that is one of my bucket list cars. So...if your friend has the dough to buy this car merely to use as a reference, perhaps he would consider offering it to me once he is done referencing!

I'm still kinda broke...but the ambition remains.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

14 inch wheels/tires were standard on 1958 Silver Hawk V8s. This Silver Hawk has 15 inch which were an available option.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey, JClary, that's my line!!!

Comment

Matt, the Door Panels look fine but as much as I can see of the rest of the Interior forget it, it's all wrong do not use those seats as a pattern for anything.

Also the Engine is not the Correct Aluminum Silver.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                >>>How correct is it?
                That pressure gauge for a supercharger definitely doesn't belong in the dash.

All the "stuff" is missing from the rear compartment (trunk) area. No description or pics. of the undercarriage condition is a little scary too.

Comment

As for rust issues, it appears that the trunk floor corners have been replaced and the gas tank mount indent piece in the trunk floor has been replaced also. The trunklid weatherstrip at the rear has rust stains on it, so the lower lip of the trunklid may be rusty. May be a good solid car, but I would be afraid of a patched-up car with a fresh paint job applied to hide the rust. I would want somebody to inspect it before bidding.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Matt, the Door Panels look fine but as much as I can see of the rest of the Interior forget it, it's all wrong do not use those seats as a pattern for anything.

Also the Engine is not the Correct Aluminum Silver.
                    And itsn't it missing arm rests on the rear seat side wall/panels?
                    JimsLeadCommander

Comment

If that's the same red '58 that was at the May meet, it took a best of show.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                        If that's the same red '58 that was at the May meet, it took a best of show.
                        Chris, I believe you're thinking about that Red '58 Golden Hawk, but this Hawk is not far from the SB May Meet ...15 miles down the road in Elkhart, IN.
                        Last edited by Welcome; 06-16-2011, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X