Which car led the pack in 1957?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which car led the pack in 1957?

This was in an article in the newspaper today based on what the ratings were for the cars in a 1957 Consumer Reports Magazine. It was by Larry Printz from The Virginian-Pilot.

Low priced ($2,253-$2631) 1st CHEVY 210- good power, prcise handling, good fuel econ, rattle free body
    Last Studebaker Champion and Commander burdensome to drive and poorly built

Medium price($2,727-3,178) 1st Olds Rocket 88-well engineered/built, powerfu,l roomy, reliable
    Last Studebaker President-burdensome to drive and poorly built

The authors conculsion was that the magazine proves the old saying about antique cars: What's popular new will be popular when it turns old.

I've never been a big fan of Consumer Reports but it was interesting to know their opinion of Studebakers at the time.

Ken

Burdensome to drive? Bah, Humbug!

I really think the writer has the Makes crossed!

TWICE he says this: "burdensome to drive" That is exactly how I would describe a high center of gravity Chevrolet or ANY GM Car of the era!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hard to believe, but it was Ford, which was 'all new' for 1957 and it outsold Chevrolet for the first time in several years. While the '57 Chev has become a '50's icon, it was still a three year old body style, and new-car buyers at that time wanted the 'newest-of-the-new', even though it was perhaps not the best.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I really think the writer has the Makes crossed!

TWICE he says this: "burdensome to drive" That is exactly how I would describe a high center of gravity Chevrolet or ANY GM Car of the era!
        I must disagree! I owned both 57 Chevy and Olds. The Chevy did not impress me much except in LOOKS. But the Olds Rocket 88 was a dream to drive. However it was a nioghtmare to keep it drivable. That was 1965-67. Then I bought a 57 Silverhawk. Still have one. NT
        Neil Thornton

Comment

Huh??

What are you, the bleedin' Sphinx?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The authors conculsion was that the magazine proves the old saying about antique cars: What's popular new will be popular when it turns old.
            He was right about a '57 Chevy or Olds will still sell for way more money than a '57 Champion, Commander or President.

He was dead wrong about Ford vs. Chevy.
            Hard to believe, but it was Ford, which was 'all new' for 1957 and it outsold Chevrolet
            The Fords were more popular new, but a '57 Chevy will bring twice what a '57 Ford will bring, if you can even find a '57 Ford, because their popularity faded immediately and few were preserved.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I do not find my 2 door 57 Champion burdensome to drive. I rather enjoy it a great deal! I am unanimous in this opinion!!!
              1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Our old Chevy is a nightmare on sharp turns. I sometimes have to grab the door to keep from sliding to the passenger side. The car was well built and all but handling is anything but precise. Why wasn't the Studebaker's fuel econemy mentioned? "Burdensome to drive?" Really?
                Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                Lizella, GA

Comment

Working...
                X