Where to put the Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to put the Tach

I wanted an original look although the dash has been extensively modified. I also wanted a Tach but was struggling where to put it. I bought a smaller Tach and placed it in a center console we made for a couple of guages and cupholders. I didn't like that placement as it was nearly impossible to read.

I purchased an NOS clock on eBay and the tach is going to fit right in the bezel. It's installed in the dash just for looks but the clock is not hooked up as it is 6 volt. We will be removing the clock and moving the Tach to the bezel.

BTW, the clock looks NOS so if anyone needs one, send me a PM with an offer. I didn't hook it up so I can't verify if it works but it looks like it has never been used. It came in the original box.

Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

That will look great sitting there. Most people likely will never know it wasnt an option that way.
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

I like mine where I can see it.

Comment

Doing this will give you the best tach visibilty combined with the nicest looking installation. Capital idea.
        Mine's in the same spot, but nothing more than an old school steering column mount. The way the Champion speedometer and Studebaker script are shaped, the round tach fits right in underneath. It's like the factory wanted you to put a tach here.
        Attached Files

Comment

Years ago, I saw a tach mounted in place of the clock and I always thought that that was what I would do if the occasion arose. I always wondered about the availability of a quality tach that would fit in that small bezel.
          The tach on top of the dash looks racy and works well for some themes, but the 51-52 dash top is not very deep and may cause mounting problems. I like the chrome cup on Dan's column. Console mounted tachs always seemed like a waste to me.
          Last edited by 52-fan; 06-13-2011, 06:27 AM.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I'll be sure to post pictures once I get the Tach in the bezel. It's a small Tach that will fit nicely. It may be a while before we get around to it.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
            X