Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep-N-Hock Follies - June 2011

Nose job on the black '53....

Added some Rick Courtier vinyl bling to put some 'Stude' back on the Stude...
    More about this ongoing project over on Sonny's Racing Studebaker's website..

And some other pic's at:

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-11-2011, 09:54 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

lookin' good!!!
    read the blog on sonny's site - makes me wish i was building something, rather than "maintaining"... (sigh)...
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Lookin' good Jeff, lookin' good. Those graphics are exaclty what the front end of that beast needed. (Beast in a very positive way...... )
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Sweet!

Pat
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Jeff, love the look of that plastic layer over the grill inserts. Looks really neat.

Comment

Ahhhh, that's better.
            Jim
            Often in error, never in doubt
            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm just a little slow, guess it goes with age, had to Google E-85. (G) I now like the idea.

Comment

I guess it is more about 'what' you are working on that makes it interesting for wimmen'...
                (Or... I don't have a clue as to what makes wimmen think the way they do)

Was up early Saturday working on Jim's intake manifold, and I needed to get sidetracked.
                (Needed a lathe built tool, and my lathe is/was broken since the move to Georgia)
                So, decided to repair the lathe, and clean it and prep it for use.
                The repair was to install the replacement cast motor mount bracket that was purchased off Ebay a few months ago.
                But then I decided to really 'clean and lube' the lathe, and the lathe stand.
                This is a vintage 1930's Atlas 6" swing flatbed lathe that was my late fathers.
                Sort of a nostalgic piece. No quick change, or anything.
                (Learned to chase threads the hard way as a young pup teenager).
                So, the lathe got a Royal Purple bath, pressure wash, scrape, wash/rinse/repeat treatment, and then a quality lube and rust prevenative prep.
                Funny thing was, after the initial pressure wash to blast the 60+ years of underneath crud off, my wife came out to see WTH I was working on.
                She grabbed a lil' scraper, and a mini wire brush and pitched in to help.
                While I was taking the tailstock apart to clean and lube, she was cleaning the threads on the leadscrew, and scraping old dried up lube off the motor plate..
                Spent a couple hours together cleaning it up. Quality time
                After it was all done I showed her how all the levers functioned.
                She was amazed at how well engineered such an old machine could be.
                She commented on how it made her feel good to see me take extra care of a family heirloom.
                Heirloom? A lathe? Yessir.....and a darned good unit, too.
                Oh....and the lathe just purred... So smooth.
                Nice morning well spent.
                I took her out to supper as a payback.
                Jeff
                Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-26-2011, 04:23 AM.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Super schnazzy

very good Jeff jimmijim
                  Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  I guess it is more about 'what' you are working on that makes it interesting for wimmen'...
                  (Or... I don't have a clue as to what makes wimmen think the way they do)

Was up early Saturday working on Jim's intake manifold, and I needed to get sidetracked.
                  (Needed a lathe built tool, and my lathe is/was broken since the move to Georgia)
                  So, decided to repair the lathe, and clean it and prep it for use.
                  The repair was to install the replacement cast motor mount bracket that was purchased off Ebay a few months ago.
                  But then I decided to really 'clean and lube' the lathe, and the lathe stand.
                  This is a vintage 1930's Atlas 6" swing flatbed lathe that was my late fathers.
                  Sort of a nostalgic piece. No quick change, or anything.
                  (Learned to chase threads the hard way as a young pup teenager).
                  So, the lathe got a Royal Purple bath, pressure wash, scrape, wash/rinse/repeat treatment, and then a quality lube and rust prevenative prep.
                  Funny thing was, after the initial pressure wash to blast the 60+ years of underneath crud off, my wife came out to see WTH I was working on.
                  She grabbed a lil' scraper, and a mini wire brush and pitched in to help.
                  While I was taking the tailstock apart to clean and lube, she was cleaning the threads on the leadscrew, and scraping old dried up lube off the motor plate..
                  Spent a couple hours together cleaning it up. Quality time
                  After it was all done I showed her how all the levers functioned.
                  She was amazed at how well engineered such an old machine could be.
                  She commented on how it made her feel good to see me take extra care of a family heirloom.
                  Heirloom? A lathe? Yessir.....and a darned good unit, too.
                  Oh....and the lathe just purred... So smooth.
                  Nice morning well spent.
                  I took her out to supper as a payback.
                  Jeff
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Jeff ..... Let's see some pictures of that lathe !!!
                    sigpic
                    John
                    63R-2386
                    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Mrs. Corvanti never helps me clean my tool...
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I once put a sawzall in my wife's hands. She hacked up a rusty 54 hardtop like a pro. After it was all over, she was a dirty girl. The only problem I have now is that the only time she wants to help is when I'm scrapping one.
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1958 Commander "Christine"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

Compromise

My wife and I compromise. I build the engines, trans ect. She builds the interiors. Here's a sample of her latest work.

She did all the cleaning and wood restoration. Resufaced the counter tops and table. Bought the foam and covered it in nice soft blue fabric. Made the curtains and installed them. At the car show this weekend she decided to redo the curtains in a more period fabric to keep with thte nostagia theme of the outside. This woman is a real pro with any kind of power tool especially a sewing machine. And yes, she loves the sawsall. Here's my new favorite picture of the camper taken yesterday at the show.
                          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Nice Truck, Nice Camper she did a great job on the interior, but who is the Bordens Milk delivery guy?

Last edited by StudeRich; 06-26-2011, 11:08 AM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                              Jeff ..... Let's see some pictures of that lathe !!!
                              Jeff, is this the lathe you have?

I have one of these 1928 South Bend Lathes with a 9" swing and 18" between centers without the quick change gear box, but does have the over the top drive unit.

FYI, here is a web site with information on almost every manual lathe ever built. http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html
                              sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
                              Bubbaland South
                              Resident Machinist

Comment

Working...
                              X