Missing a Piece -Road Draft Tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Missing a Piece -Road Draft Tube

I removed my road draft tube to clean it and in comparing it to the illustration in
    the manual, looks like the bottom extension piece is missing; thats the part with the mesh in it. I've had a problem with oil smells getting into the car, and was wondering
    if this is the culprit, i.e. maybe with the tube missing that extension, it is not far
    enough down into the air stream to function properly? Just wondering..

Joe D.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0548 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1733537

Your road draft tube looks like the tubes I've seen on other V8 engines, I don't see anything missing. Bud

Comment

Bud, notice the little extension piece on the illustration. this is from the 1956 manual, maybe the factory stopped using it - or they have
      a tendency to go missing...
      Thanks,

Joe D.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine diagram 001 (585x1024) (2) (387x371) (387x371) (387x371).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1668311

Comment

That is not an extension -- it is a heavy steel wool insert that prevents dirt and critters from getting into the tube. It goes in the tube and is held with a cotter pin.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

The later tubes don't use the steel wool insert filter. If you install the filter, be sure to clean it periodically as they can plug up with crud which can cause excess pressure in the pan which will cause oil leaks. Bud

Comment

Ah ha. thanks much. I'll leave the tube just as it is. It was nice and clear with very little oil in in when I removed it. As for oil leaks, I have enough
            already, don't need more.

Joe D.

Comment

Look at your road draft tube.
              If there is a small 1/8" hole drilled crossways in it, then you can add an insert if you want.
              I use a chunk of a stainless pot scrubbing pad...
              Just slide the chunk in (don't 'pack' it) and put a long cotter pin in to keep it in place.
              Works good.

Originally posted by Bud View Post
              The later tubes don't use the steel wool insert filter. If you install the filter, be sure to clean it periodically as they can plug up with crud which can cause excess pressure in the pan which will cause oil leaks. Bud
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Jeff, great idea. Good alternative to the factory part which I can't find anyway.
                Joe D.

Comment

...or a piece cut from a copper scrubber.

Comment

Working...
                  X