Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1950 Commander steering wheel question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Commander steering wheel question...

Hey guys -- I have a 1950 Commander Starlight i'm calling mine, even though I haven't actually purchased it yet. (I have this pesky detail of having to sell my 66 Mustang GT fastback before my wife will let me buy another old car. Okay, that, plus I don't have room for two "garage cars" anyway. It's now on autotraderclassics.com by the way, if you know anyone interested!)

Anyway, so I have seen the interior of the commander and it looks pretty good for never being restored. The main issue is the steering wheel is cracked and need refurbishing. I was planning on getting a wheel from the Shrock brothers I have heard so much about, but my issue is this, and it may sound silly... I don't really want the car to have to sit around for the weeks (or months?) that it takes for them to create a new wheel from my core. So i'm wondering what wheel could I buy for cheap, that will fit a 1950 commander that I can use just to be able to drive the car while it's waiting for a new wheel? I was going to start looking for one once I get the car home, since getting a new wheel is at the top of my to-do list!

Thanks for any help or insight...
    Michael
    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
    Regal Deluxe Trim
    Automatic transmission
    46k original miles, 4th Owner

wheel interchange

You should be well pleased with your Shrock re-cast wheel. About any postwar car or truck wheel prior to 1956 will fit your Commander AFIK. I have a throw down wheel that you could use temporarily for cheep.

Comment

Have you contacted them? They often have wheels ready to exchange for your core. They display them at the swap meets.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You do not have to wait. Send yours and they will send you one that is redone. If you need any parts for your commander let me know. I have inventory.

Comment

wow, i didn't know that -- thanks guys!
          sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
          Automatic transmission

Comment

I too am looking to replace the steering wheel on my 1950 Commander Regal Delux 4-door sedan. This is good news as I was not aware they might have wheels in stock. I am also looking for a replacement horn button. Do you have a list of the 1950 parts you have in your inventory?
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Eddie. Try Studebaker International for repro on horn botton. Let me know if you need sheet metal. Roy 530-320-6299

Comment

And the Shrocks certainly do a nice job...

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  And the Shrocks certainly do a nice job...

you got it! i was actually planning on going with a ruby red version on the 50. i hear they have green available now too!
                  sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                  Automatic transmission

Comment

Follow up -- Has anyone seen the 50 horn buttons available anywhere other than SI? They list them for $100 and that just seems a little steep just to replace one that's faded...
                    sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                    Automatic transmission

Comment

Originally posted by deco_droid View Post
                      Follow up -- Has anyone seen the 50 horn buttons available anywhere other than SI? They list them for $100 and that just seems a little steep just to replace one that's faded...
                      If it's just faded, I'd be tempted to strip the paint out of the backside and redo it. The front will polish out pretty nicely too if the plastic is oxidized.

Comment

Hmmm, thanks Matt. I may just try doing that. Yes, the front is fairly smooth, but I do have plastic polish just in case.
                        sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                        Automatic transmission

Comment

I ordered a new wheel from Shrock Bros and I will be sending the core back AFTER I replace it with the new one. Did you call them? Mine was for a 2R and it was in stock. They sent it within a few days.
                          Jon Stalnaker
                          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                            I ordered a new wheel from Shrock Bros and I will be sending the core back AFTER I replace it with the new one. Did you call them? Mine was for a 2R and it was in stock. They sent it within a few days.
                            I have emailed them but not heard back yet, so I will give them a call to see what they have in stock. Thanks for the tip!
                            sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                            Automatic transmission

Comment

They did a wheel for my Transtar and I had them do it in translucent white. It's too pretty for the truck until it gets repainted! When buttons like you need got to where they were a hundred or more for an NOS one, that's when they got repopped. And since they were used on some models for two years - and will easily fit where alot of earlier styles fit - it made it practical to reproduce them. They are almost undetectable from NOS. You have to look at the backside of them to tell.
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X