Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer

I recently installed a speedo cable in my 53 commander hardtop and after 13 miles and a bunch of clattering the head is shot. The cable still spins smoothly. I have another speedo head I got in an old dash and it appears to work fine when tested with a drill. Is it recommended that any lubiricant be used in any way on the head prior to insstallation?

Thanks to all you guys with the experience and knowledge to willingness to share

Mike DeLapp

Mike DeLapp
    Barrington, IL
    53 Commander Hardtop

There is a oil hole on the back top where the cable attaches. Maybe that shaft was dry. That said, if the unit has been sitting a long time, the grease may have dried up internally. There is some grease on the worm gears for the odometer. I had mine completely apart for the resto and cleaned and new grease. Then, the odometer worked for exactly 2,000 miles and when it turned over the 2, the extra torque due to the number wheels being dry (I didn't touch them) caused the plastic drive gear to shear off. I swapped the assy out with parts from a parts guage cluster. Used very light oil on the OD wheels and made sure they all turned easily and so far so good! Its been awhile since I had this apart but seem to recall there is a screw to adjust the thrust on one of the shafts inside there and some other pivot points that originally has some lube on them. The unit comes apart easily if its out of the car, 2 screws on the back and the guts pull out with the face and pointer attached. Not much to mess up in there as long as you don't twang the spring!

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

I recently installed a speedo cable in my 53 commander hardtop and after 13 miles and a bunch of clattering the head is shot. The cable still spins smoothly. I have another speedo head I got in an old dash and it appears to work fine when tested with a drill. Is it recommended that any lubiricant be used in any way on the head prior to insstallation?

Thanks to all you guys with the experience and knowledge to willingness to share

I saw a thread for using various oils, one of the suggested ones being trombone oil. Luckily I had some and it worked great. Another issue I found in reading old messages was testing the accuracy. Finding a reliable rpm was the issue. I found that almost all portable GPS units will display speed quite accuragely. I used my microsoft laptop with the microsoft GPS program and it worked great. Speedo is now working fine. Hope it stays that way
      Mike DeLapp

Mike DeLapp
      Barrington, IL
      53 Commander Hardtop
      Mike DeLapp
      Barrington, IL
      53 Commander Hardtop

Comment

Working...
      X