New Proud Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Proud Owner

I just aquired a 1950 champion which was restored in 1977 and put in a barn and has been there since. It is covered in mold and dust. The brake shoes are siezed to the drums so it has been a real challenge getting it to roll. I have freed 3 wheels and wil do the forth tomorrow. I am very excited about being the owner of such a fine car so I need help. Can someone please answer the following questions.
    1. How do I know or find out if it has overdrive, is anything on the dash that gives a clue.
    2. I have found an overdrive localy here in Virginia for 150.00 is this a good price.
    3. What kind of highway cruising speed can I expect with overdrive as I would like to keep it original.
    4. I found wheel cylinder and master cylinder rebuild kits at autozone. Any tips would be welcomed.
    5. My plan is to remove plugs and put Marvil Mystery oil for soak and attempt to turn engine by hand untill it is lose. Any other tips would be welcomed.

Welcome aboard. Hard to find a more representative Studebaker, 1950 was their high water mark for production. Re: overdrive, look for a T handle under the left side of the dash. My say OD on it.

Among the first things to do is join the Studebaker Driver's Club which you can do on this site. Explore Studebaker vendors and buy a shop manual. Others will chime in with more advice.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

dtmgman, what part of Virginia are you from? Jeff

Comment

Help

Go for new cylinders. Old ones are very likely to have serious rust attacking the cylinder's wall and even after honing them to be smooth will continue to rust making it unlikely that cups from the kits will be able to seal and hold pressure for as long as you would expect. New ones can be had for a couple hundred or less total depending on where you shop and when you buy. Our vendors within the club will be able to hook you up at a fair price. Plus, everything for these cars isn't available at the AZ so get with a vendor as they have a lot of information that comes in handy when you got a tech problem or searching for that part that AZ or the guy behind the counter has no clue as to what you are speaking of. thanks jimmijim
        Last edited by jimmijim8; 06-07-2011, 05:28 PM.
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Welcome!
          Figure out the picture process here on the Forum and post up a picture.
          If you are having trouble setting this up there are guys on the forum that will help.
          Good Luck &
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

If your car has the "T" handle Don referred to it is a clear indication you should be equipped with OD. You can also look at the transmission. I did a quick search and found this T96 w/OD on Ebay. You can see the solenoid and governor obvious on an OD trans that would be missing on a straight 3-speed.

You would also have a relay for the OD mounted to the firewall.

In the absence of these items, you should look to procure them. Engaging overdrive can cut engine rpm's by 30%. A flathead Champion in good condition should be able to maintain posted speed limits on almost all major highways.

If the transmission you have found is in known good condition I would think $150 is more than reasonable. Be certain it is a T96 with the short output flange. You will also need the "T" handle lockout cable w/bracket, relay and wiring harness (which you can easily make).

Also note with overdrive engaged you will be freewheeling. You can't rely on engine compression to keep you from racing down mountains. I think overdrive is illegal in West Virginia.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
            X