1957 engine color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1957 engine color

SI shows turquoise as the engine color for 1957. Is that true for the flat head 6? I am working on a 57 Silver Hawk with the 185 - 6 cylinder. I don't see any turquoise paint.

Claude
    1936 Dictator
    1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
    1953 Commander Regal HT
    1953 2R5 Pickup
    1947 M16 Truck
    1960 Lark VIII Convertible
    1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
    1962 Champ 7E5 no box
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Lark VI 4 dr
    1963 GT Hawk R2
    1964 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

My '57 Champion has no engine in it, sorry.
    If yours has no turquoise it may have been gone over once before,
    or it may be a replacement motor someone painted wrong,
    or it may have come from a different car...
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by studeski View Post
      SI shows turquoise as the engine color for 1957. Is that true for the flat head 6? I am working on a 57 Silver Hawk with the 185 - 6 cylinder. I don't see any turquoise paint.

Claude
      I have a friend with a 57 Golden Hawk. When we were doing the engine build we found that Studebaker used turquoise for the early year build and silver for the later year builds. His engine was silver.
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

My 57 Champion has a flat six with the turquoise paint. The closest that I can get for a 'quick renew' is a Chrysler turquoise, you can not really notice the difference.
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

S. Int'l has it: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50001003a~Z5Z5Z5AAIMV~P1.00~~~~S38K0PH4J298741311250 f~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50001003a

also comes in quart cans.
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I'm not sure where, if anywhere, it is recorded when they went from turquoise to silver engine paint during the 1957 model year, but they did.

It may have been at different times for sixes and eights. IIRC, and this is a real stretch because I was only 11 years old at the time, it may have had something to do with the mid-year 1957 Scotsman being introduced, at least for the engine color change on sixes.

I don't ever remember seeing a 1957 Scotsman with a turquoise engine; IIRC, all were silver...again, however, I am open to being corrected on that. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It would be a real easy decision for me, since by far the MAJORITY of '57's were Turquoise, it lasts longer, looks better, and discolors less, it would make no sense to paint it Silver.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X