Valve cover gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Valve cover gaskets

I have a pair of finned aluminum valve covers, the ones with "Studebaker" cast in them. I also have two pair of neoprene gaskets that are about 1" too short. What gives? Jim

what is the part number of the gaskets? How to the valve covers fit on a real Studebaker head?

At first I was going to post something silly bordering on cruel about needing to find a gasket stretcher, then a hundred yards of flight line, a two headed hammer, two buckets of steam, a left handed monkey wrench, hunt for snipes, etc.

Comment

I picked up a finned valley cover, but as everything else on the car checked out as factory, I kept the original. Anyone need a finned aluminum valley cover?
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

The valve covers are p/n 801459 in Studebaker International's #2007 catalog. The gasket p/n is 1561165 from the same catalog. The other gasket set I got with the covers and had no numbers, but they are identical to the S/I gaskets. I measured the aluminum covers at 19 11/16" to the edge of the flange. The steel covers are still on the car, but look like about the same. The motor is a 61 289 4bbl. Jim

Comment

Com'on guys, somebody has to have used these covers.. Jim

Comment

I just put a new valve cover gasket on my OHV 6 this weekend and I did have to stretch it to fit in the groove. It was around an inch short also. Once I got it seated in the slot it fit fine.

Do these valve covers have a slot for the gasket or are they smooth on the bottom?

Nick

Comment

They are smooth on the bottom. I am considering splicing two to make one. Jim

Comment

I bought a pair of those finned ally rocker covers for mt GT Hawk a few years ago off Ebay down here. The fitted OK, but I already had the gaskets. Try warming them up before stretching, then clip them some how in place on the covers, (Clothes pegs maybe ?). They may stay that size when cooled.
                Matt
                Brisbane
                Australia
                sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Did you lay the gaskets on the head to make sure they are too small?
                  The molds for the Stude aluminum valve covers are not the most high tech.....
                  If the gaskets fit the head right, I would silicone them to the vallve cover, and set it with a weight on it overnight on a flat surface.
                  Then, just use a light smear of silicone sealer on the gasket on installation.
                  BTDT
                  HTIH
                  Jeff
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                  X