Think We've Solved The Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think We've Solved The Problem

I think we just found out why my '61 Lark Cruiser has been running a bit "warm" and the engine has been shutting off when I stop, after it's been on the road awhile. The guy who is working on the car with me, mainly on the painting, discovered today that at some point, someone installed a HUGE, old after-market transmission cooler in front of the radiator, which is almost totally blocking the radiator grill itself! The radiator is hardly getting any airflow because of this thing; that's why it's overheating at slow speeds, when air intake is further reduced. I guess coming from up north, where the cold is much more of an issue, that wasn't that big a deal, but down here in the sunny(and blazing HOT)South, it is. Needless to say, that thing is coming off, and I'm putting a new and much-smaller one on. I'm going to change the fuel filter while I'm at it. I found the taillight sockets, so now the main thing seems to be that air conditioner sending unit piece that's broken. Hopefully the removal of that enormous trans cooler(which you can tell has actually been bent and forced into that position, since it's really too big for the space)will take care of the overheating issues.

pitbulllady

Why does your car have a transmission cooler? Studebaker only used them on the heavy-duty transmissions, and I don't think that was even available in '61. Does your car still have the original Studebaker driveline?

Comment

Why does your car have a transmission cooler? Studebaker only used them on the heavy-duty transmissions, and I don't think that was even available in '61. Does your car still have the original Studebaker driveline?

Comment

I just thought the same thing??? Taxi?,or trans from a taxi?? Police?

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I just thought the same thing??? Taxi?,or trans from a taxi?? Police?

LaSalle,Il
          61Hawk
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The trans cooler shouldn't effect the cooling thru the radiator. Air should still pass thru the cooler. I'd look to make sure there is no debris wedged between the cooler and the radiator. Just normal driving can get stuff wedged between the two (dirt, dust, leaves, etc.). Are you sure the radiator isn't plugged? Scale and rust can settle into the bottom of the radiator restricting the amount that can be cooled. The cooler shouldn't be your problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The trans cooler shouldn't effect the cooling thru the radiator. Air should still pass thru the cooler. I'd look to make sure there is no debris wedged between the cooler and the radiator. Just normal driving can get stuff wedged between the two (dirt, dust, leaves, etc.). Are you sure the radiator isn't plugged? Scale and rust can settle into the bottom of the radiator restricting the amount that can be cooled. The cooler shouldn't be your problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Are you sure that it is a transmission cooler and not part of your air conditioning system? A 1961 Lark Cruiser had an air cooled transmission and did not have a way to install a transmission cooler in front of the radiator.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Are you sure that it is a transmission cooler and not part of your air conditioning system? A 1961 Lark Cruiser had an air cooled transmission and did not have a way to install a transmission cooler in front of the radiator.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Are you sure that's not your AC condensor[?][:0] Like Gary said, no cooler in a '61 FOM.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Are you sure that's not your AC condensor[?][:0] Like Gary said, no cooler in a '61 FOM.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It is a cooler, and it is NOT stock. You can see where whoever installed it actually crimped and bent the corners and top to MAKE it fit, though WHY, I have no idea. It's not part of the AC, either. The car has the original drive train and transmission, so once again, I have no idea why this was put on the car.
                        The radiator has already just been flushed and the plugs cleaned, so that's not the problem. The trans cooler was probably not added in '61, but several years later, during the '70s most likely. You can tell that it was not designed to really fit this car, but was forced in there. The AC is fairly modern, having been added on in 1998, according to the sticker in the door.

pitbulllady

Comment

It is a cooler, and it is NOT stock. You can see where whoever installed it actually crimped and bent the corners and top to MAKE it fit, though WHY, I have no idea. It's not part of the AC, either. The car has the original drive train and transmission, so once again, I have no idea why this was put on the car.
                          The radiator has already just been flushed and the plugs cleaned, so that's not the problem. The trans cooler was probably not added in '61, but several years later, during the '70s most likely. You can tell that it was not designed to really fit this car, but was forced in there. The AC is fairly modern, having been added on in 1998, according to the sticker in the door.

pitbulllady

Comment

Sharon, got any pictures of that cooler?

Brad Johnson
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sharon, got any pictures of that cooler?

Brad Johnson
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X