Bucket Seats in a 53

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucket Seats in a 53

I have late model bucket seats in my 53 coupe, which look fine, but just are not comfy for me, wrong kind of angles for me.
    I'm wondering what seats some of you might be using, how you like them, and if you might have a picture or two.

Thanks

I have seats from a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible in my '53 Coupe.

I had to build a brace into the rear foot well to mount the inside back corners. I used pieces of bed rail to make my mounts. Bed rail is great for fabricating, very strong stuff. The seats are quite comfortable, the drivers side is 6 way electric adjustable. I have taken a 2000 mile trip in them and arrived without any discomfort. The bonus is they have a shoulder harness built into them. Because the seat belts are integral to the seats you must use extra sturdy mounting. I used seat belt anchors to reinforce my floor. There is a lot of good information about installing and selecting these seats located here: http://www.corvairkid.com/sebring.htm. I chose the later model seats with only the inertia seat belts hooked up to simplify the wiring.

Pat
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 06-02-2011, 07:08 AM.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Mid-'60's Mercedes seats, from any of the two-door full-size cars. Hugely comfortable, and they look period-correct.
      '53 Commander
      Art Morrison chassis
      LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
        I have late model bucket seats in my 53 coupe, which look fine, but just are not comfy for me, wrong kind of angles for me.
        I'm wondering what seats some of you might be using, how you like them, and if you might have a picture or two.

Thanks
        John

I used 2007 Acura TL seats in my 54K. Both front and rear fit. I would bet that any car of the size of the Acura, Sebring, etc would fit. Just up to what you like and the features. Mine is all leather, full power and heated.

Bob

Comment

Have you tried adjusting the angles ? As in raising the front of the seat. [at the mounting points] Then adjust the back to fit.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

65 gto chrome across back lot of work to put in car on h.a.m.b if you want to look black 53 k body

Comment

Sweetolbob has a great idea. I have a 91 Acura Legend Coupe that has the leather interior. My doggie has been rough with the leather but I can get another set from a salvage yard, no problem. And I have almost enough parts left from the build of my 55K for another C/K. Then I would have the old seats from the Acura (which are very comfortable) for my next project. I might have just thrown them out. Thanks, Bob!
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

"65 gto"

Yes those Pontiac buckets used to be quite the way to go; looked appropriate, and later ones were even high backed.

Comment

I just purchased front buckets and rear seat from a M-B 300CE for my 53 coupe, they are like new and the rear seat dimensions are close to the originals. Installation date ....???
                  Bill Foy
                  1000 Islands, Ontario
                  1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                    John

I used 2007 Acura TL seats in my 54K. Both front and rear fit. I would bet that any car of the size of the Acura, Sebring, etc would fit. Just up to what you like and the features. Mine is all leather, full power and heated.

Bob
                    Might have to rip out the wifes seats and do a little experiementing on the Lark. Maybe cut down the seat backs a little.....final version of cource

did you activate the side air bags as well
                    Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 06-03-2011, 06:20 AM.
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
                      Might have to rip out the wifes seats and do a little experiementing on the Lark. Maybe cut down the seat backs a little.....final version of cource

did you activate the side air bags as well
                      Kevin

Nope, my wife contends there are more than enough airbags in the car without activating the safety ones, but you and Dave (Warrlaw1) are making good points about how to be comfortable in old cars. Just find a modern vehicle that has the seats you like and find a set to install.

Now that most full size cars have been down sized and even the smaller cars have seats made for bigger bodies, the choice should be endless. Also the days of finding only crud seats in a wrecking yard have lessened.

My seats came from a 0 mile 2007 Acura that was apparently removed from the assembly line to test fit and finish. These cars are then sold to yards like LKQ with the stipulation that they be stripped and sold only as parts. I think crushing them got too expensive.

So unless one wants complete originality there is little excuse for not having comfortable seats.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        Kevin

My seats came from a 0 mile 2007 Acura that was apparently removed from the assembly line to test fit and finish. These cars are then sold to yards like LKQ with the stipulation that they be stripped and sold only as parts. I think crushing them got too expensive.

Bob
                        How long ago was this? I wonder if they still have the wheels and tires from this car, or a similar car.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          How long ago was this? I wonder if they still have the wheels and tires from this car, or a similar car.
                          Gary

Close to two years ago to answer your question but let me expound. LKQ is one of the larger wrecking companies in the US. I picked my seats up in Belleville, Mi where they were delivered from an Illinois or Wisconsin LKQ yard. My BIL and I spent about 45 minutes in the yard while they found and brought out my seats.

What I was told at the yard was that LKQ had a contract with both Dodge and Acura to take these vehicles at a set price and then part them out. The yard was obviously constructed with that in mind as we watched a couple of late model vehicles quickly disappear into parts while we were there. How much of the above about contracts etc. is totally accurate I don't know but that's what we were told and I got an unbelievable price on a new set of Acura seats.

They also part out hundreds of older models in the same facilities so they should have parts for about anything made. Belleville must have at least 10 structures just to hold parts which are all indexed and inventoried. I think they specialize in supplying body shops and dealers but they sold to me.

Long winded way to say, call your local LKQ yard and ask or do what I did. I bought my seats from LKQ on the Ebay website and than dealt with the Belleville site for routing and delivery.

Bob
                          Last edited by sweetolbob; 06-03-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Bob - Thanks for taking the time and effort of your complete answer. I've never heard of LKQ and we don't have any local yards of this sort. I guess that I will have to do some research.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sort of a side note........This type of "yard" is how I bought my engine......Company contracts with GM Ford, etc to purchase assembly line test fit engines. Guess there's some sort of law that any set up vehicles can not be sold as whole units, only as parts.

So Wha la, a test run engine with no miles.....with warrenty and great price.
                              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X