'57 Golden Hawk: Or just a "Hawk"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 Golden Hawk: Or just a "Hawk"

I'm in love... with the Studebaker Hawks. I saw the episode of "What's my car worth?" and immediately saw the genius behind the Hawk's design. I've been a '64-66 Mustang fan since I was 12 years old, and made my first car a '66 mustang. Had I known about the Hawk, I'm pretty sure I would have seen how it predated the Mustang by almost a decade in the styling cues, and hunted for one to buy in 1976 when I bought my '66 pony. Now I'd like to know how to get the knowledge needed to tell one Hawk from another. This has immediate practical application, as I have a lead on a '57 "Golden Hawk" but am not sure how to tell if it's really a "Golden" bird, or just a run of the mill Studebaker Hawk. Any advice on how to tell the differences would be appreciated before I drive three hours up the coast to check it out. Thanks!

A Golden Hawk would be a hardtop, or a "K" body. It should also have a supercharger. The only other Hawk available in 57 was the Silver Hawk. It's a coupe, or a "C" body, with no supercharger. There are a few other minor differences, but these are the biggest.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by StudHawk60; 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks. That makes it easier to confirm. What are the biggest problems to avoid when thinking about buying a "running" car? Impossible to fix body problems, etc.?

Comment

A true Golden Hawk, will be a hard top pillerless coupe. This means if you open the door and roll the window down, there will not be a fixed frame around the door glass still.
        If It's a 57, it is supposed to be supercharged (McCulloch). Body Tag on passenger firewall will read 57H-K7 with body number under that. Engine serial # will be PS XXXX....(the x's will be some number, depending on production sequence) later engines ....larger number.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by cwsheen61 View Post
          Thanks. That makes it easier to confirm. What are the biggest problems to avoid when thinking about buying a "running" car? Impossible to fix body problems, etc.?
          Well, that opens a big can of worms....if it has been engine swapped with a chevy, then the value will be more than halved with a Golden Hawk. If the frame is rusty, it can be very expensive to replace. Structural rust in the door posts and sub floor torque boxes are expensive to fix. None of it is 'impossibe to fix'...just how much you are willing to spend is the determining factor.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I did a full restoration on a solid 57 Golden Hawk about 10 years ago. I did everything except paint, chrome and interior. At the time, it cost me just a bit over 22K to finish, but even back than, it sold for a small profit.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by StudHawk60 View Post
              A Golden Hawk would be a hardtop, or a "K" body. It should also have a supercharger. The only other Hawk available in 57 was the Silver Hawk. It's a coupe, or a "C" body, with no supercharger. There are a few other minor differences, but these are the biggest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDN8HhMCc3I
              thanks for that video - great information!!!
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Are there exceptionally rare options that might add value for the '57? I've seen a site with options listed for the '56 model year, but haven't seen a list for '57's yet.

Comment

Originally posted by cwsheen61 View Post
                  Are there exceptionally rare options that might add value for the '57?>>>
                  '57 Golden Hawk "400" would be considered a rare bird!!! Search this Forum for info or just Google it.

And oh, by the way
                  ...WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

Comment

Go to Google and type in 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk. You will get plenty of pictures.
                    Allen

Comment

Don't for get that in 57 there were silver hawk hard top made for out of the country sales, but all right they should be a rare bird also.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Working...
                      X