Same truck beds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same truck beds?

This my be an old topic? but what's up with this? looks like the bed (not the fenders) on this 41 Plymouth is the same as the ones used on the 41 to 48 M5 trucks, so did Studebaker use the Plymouth beds or did Plymouth use the Studebaker beds?
    Attached Files

I can't answer your question conclusively, but I have never seen anything in print that says that Stude and Chrysler used the same pickup beds. All pickup beds of that era looked pretty much the same (GM too) -- you'd have to make some measurements to really answer your question.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by cruisen51 View Post
      This my be an old topic? but what's up with this? looks like the bed (not the fenders) on this 41 Plymouth is the same as the ones used on the 41 to 48 M5 trucks, so did Studebaker use the Plymouth beds or did Plymouth use the Studebaker beds?
      Yep, I thought it was pretty well known that Studebaker "borrowed" the beds from Plymouth for the M5. I even have photos that came from the Studebaker archives showing this bed on a Plymouth chassis from an almost identical angle as your photo. Will post it if I find it.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Well yeah, but how's 'bout those interchangable fenders?

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          I can't answer your question conclusively, but I have never seen anything in print that says that Stude and Chrysler used the same pickup beds.
          Dodge supplied the Champ beds. I've never noticed how similar the Plymouth beds are to an M series. Interesting!
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Budd made the beds for Dodge/Plymouth/Fargo trucks, as well as for Studebaker and some others. As I recall, Mopar trucks had steel floors 1935-37, but went to wood floors after that. The 1941-48 M5 (and M15 long beds) were very much like the Dodge ones of 1935-48. The tailgates differ only in the stamped letters, though there may be a 1/4" width difference. The stake pockets look very similar at first glance but the Dodge ones are skinnier and have different ribs and bottom shapes. I have a Dodge stake pocket, will post a photo.

Several companies (Bruce Horkey) make beautiful wood floor kits for the Mopar trucks from oak, mahogany, ipe, etc. with chrome rails. For someone making a custom M5, replacing a rotten steel bed floor with wood is always an option. Classic Enterprises, however, is now making steel floor replacements for M trucks and for C-cabs (narrow bed).

Between various reproduction parts already available (sides, floors, front panel, tailgate, hinges, chains, etc.) and some CAD drawings I made, it is possible to make a brand new bed for an M5. I've offered to do these in the past, but needed 5 people ready to commit to $3000 a bed. In a CASO world, there were never ANY checks presented or offered...

See the movie here: http://www.studegarage.com/images/be..._bed_movie.wmv

My bed:
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Here is a comparison photo of the Dodge and M5 stake pockets.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	m5-dodge_stake_pockets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1668220
              Gary Ash
              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
              '48 M5
              '65 Wagonaire Commander
              '63 Wagonaire Standard