No announcement yet.

Gravely, Sno Pony and any other '60s Studebaker diversification info requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravely, Sno Pony and any other '60s Studebaker diversification info requested

Does anyone know the time frame that Sno Pony snowmobiles became part of Stude/Worthington or Avanti Motor Corp or whatever Stude connection? I'm trying to track down the time frame. I know that some of the Sno Pony parts ended up in South Bend around 1970 and apparently parts were sold through Avanti Motor Corp or so I have been told. Someone also remembered seeing an article in Turning Wheels long ago about this. Any help appreciated. Greg
    Greg requests info on the Gravely and Sno-Pony history.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Greg requests info on the Gravely and Sno-Pony history.

jack vines
    Yes, the Sno-Pony was sold here in South Bend through Newman & Altman/Standard Surplus in the late 60's/early 70's for $298.00, as I recall. Know nothing else about them except heard replacement parts were hard to find ...even back then!
    Last edited by Welcome; 05-30-2011, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Awesome! I had no idea that Studebaker had a connection with a snowmobile manufacturer, and yet another Studebaker/Minnesota connection on top of it all!
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Found some information about the Couparral Company (maker of Sno-Pony) as there was a lawsuit between the original owners and Gravely Corporation (a wholly owned subsidiary of Studebaker-Worthington) pertaining to the agreed upon acquisition price in 1969. Read here:

Aside from that, the Couparral Company was renamed Sports Power under Gravely's (Studebaker-Worthington's) ownership.

Here is another link to the rocket-powered sled that became an official world-record speed holder in 1970.
        Last edited by Milaca; 05-30-2011, 07:48 PM.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

For a number of years the Sno-Pony rocket sat on top of a semi trailer at a motorcycle/snowmobile salvage shop on the north side of Niles MI. The place closed years ago and I've always wondered what happened to it.
          R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
          X