Bought a 66 Cruiser (with pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a 66 Cruiser (with pictures)

When I had to sell my 1962 hawk last fall (thank you, Milaca), I was without a Studebaker for the first time since 1989. As many of you know, that's a hard reality to face. Now that I'm in Oregon I found a nice west coast car to restore. The good news is that I haven't had such a clean car to start with since my first Studebaker. This is a California car with options like twin traction, vanity, disc brakes and once had air conditioning. The usual things (interior and rubber) are pretty well shot, but the dash is near perfect and the engine runs and it has working brakes. And it's straight, straight, straight. I still have to get get it hauled to a location near me (can't keep it at the rental house I'm in), but it will be good to have a Studebaker again.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	119-1906_IMG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1733468Click image for larger version

Name:	119-1908_IMG.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1733469Click image for larger version

Name:	3nf3k33o35Z15W55U1b582ac9a3729d5e1ca0.jpg
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	1733470Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1733471
    Last edited by Scott; 05-29-2011, 09:09 AM.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

I hope you enjoy that car I bought it from the 2ed owner maybe 4yrs ago and sold it 2/3 years ago. It was parked for some 3-4 years just a few blocks away from my place. When I saw it I jumped on it the owner though something was wrong with the front end, said he hit something. Turnned out to be the left front wheel was no good the lug holes were so worn the wheel was falling off.Anyway I didn,t have the cash to get it up and roadready, what I did do was change oil in the motor and trans, points plugs and wires. Put some shimes on the disc brakes to try and get them adjusted that was my first experince with studebaker discs. Supposly this car spent its whole life in Sacramento it is very stright and clean.

Comment

Great find...enjoy the ride...

Comment

Nice find! I see that it is an Automatic, but is it a V-8; Thunderbolt 283?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, it's a 283. Here's the engine. I know it's not pretty.
          You had THIS car 55 coupe? Did you ever get the build sheet?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	119-1902_IMG.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1668184
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Lookin' good, Scott. Enjoy! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I like my '66 Cruiser. It rides/drives well. It will be going to Springfield in june. Most of the chrome and stainless is available at SI. A few small trim items are not available as NOS from SI but you may be able to pick them up from vendors. The build sheet for mine was unavailable (lost), hope you have better luck with yours.
              Enjoy your ride.
              sigpic
              55 President Deluxe
              64 Commander
              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

While I'm thinking of it, does anyone know of a dual master cylinder that can be used on cars with disc brakes where I want to keep the wheel systems stock?

Comment

Dave Thibeault has a dual master with everything you need to change it out. 978-897-3158.

Comment

Looking good Scott..
                    Can't wait to see it!
                    George King
                    Grants Pass, Oregon
                    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Nice find Scott! I have some front fenders that are well seasoned with Minnesota road salt that will fit your car to remind you of home. I'd be happy to make an even swap for your undesirable rust-free fenders.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It's great to know that I count on club members to take rust-free body panels off my hands!

Also, thanks to person who gave the tip on the brake MC.

Comment

Scott, would you mind sharing the info on your car with me. I'm creating a roster for all 66 cars (I've not been working on it lately, but will try to have it presentable by Springfield). VIN number, body tag numbers, powertrain combination, any options you've noticed (like the disc brakes). Does it have seat belts in the back? Plain radio or pushbutton?, etc.
                          My email is miso7@wabash.net
                          thanks,
                          Mike Sal

Comment

Another route for a dual master cylinder is a Bendix 11515 or Cardone 10-1515.
                            Bolts up to your booster, shorten the rod to 9/10 inch, front fitting to rear brakes, rear fitting to front.
                            Might be a good time to run new steel or copper/nickel brake lines.

Comment

Hi Scott and no I never got a build sheet after getting the regestration up to date that was enough paper work for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X