'37 Dictator 6A (with planar suspension) radiator support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '37 Dictator 6A (with planar suspension) radiator support

I finally feel like I am making progress restoring the Coupe-Express I've had for about 14 years now. Part of the process is using a chassis from a '37 Dictator 6A so I'd have a C-E with planar suspension. The parts car that donated the chassis did not have a radiator or supports in it. I planned to use the radiator from the original C-E, but find that because the crossmember at the front of the frame is different I need a lower radiator support. The chassis parts manual I have covering '34 to '46 doesn't even show such a thing. It also doesn't show that particular part for a '37 President and I know the Presidents had them because I crawled under my President and looked. Does anyone have a '37 Dictator parts car with the radiator supports still there? I know I can fabricate supports if I could even borrow one to use as a template.
    The front fenders pose another question. I know I need to modify the fronts to eliminate the boxes that covered the ends of the springs on The coupe-Express so they will appear correct for the 6A. (The 6A fender I got off the parts car doesn't have a well in the right one for the side mounted spare). Will I have any other issues using those 5A fenders on the 6A chassis and will the lower radiator support (if anyone has one) install OK on those 5A fenders? Thanks in advance. Tom

Hey Tom....
    How is your seat bottom and seat back in that J5?
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Try contacting George Rorbach at High Speed Motors, or Bob Kapteyn at Joliet Studebaker.
      They both have stuff of that vintage...
      HTIH
      Jeff
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Tom, I have a '37 Dictator sitting here that is a partially-built street rod. Don't know if it was planar or parallel leaf; it's got a muskrat front end under it now. Obviously, the car needs it's rad support, but if we can determine that its the one you you need, I'd be happy to loan it to you so you can copy it, or even swap it to you in exchange for a functional replacement. A street rod needs a rad support, but it sure doesn't need a stock one.

Incidentally, I'd sell the entire car for what I have in it.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

tom, i am sure i have an extra one or two. are you going to springfield? call jerry kurtz

Comment

Gord--Thanks for the offer. Looks like Jerry can fix me up.
            Jeff--PM sent. I hope it went through. Tom

Comment

Working...
            X