Dave Lester and Tornados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Lester and Tornados

Tonight's NBC network news had a reporter in PERKINS and Stillwater. Anyone hear from Dave?

I expect he was busy making sure everyone else was taken care of.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Looks like it went just north of him, but it was sure close.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Dave is OK... but, tired!

Thanks for the concern, and kind words.

Bill, I'm gonna call you soon... you've been so quiet, I was worried about you. Good to see you post!
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

Dave

Glad to hear you're well and only tired.

These must be very scarey and heart breaking times for my mid-western brethren.

I pray it all ends soon.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            Dave

Glad to hear you're well and only tired.

These must be very scarey and heart breaking times for my mid-western brethren.

I pray it all ends soon.

Bob
            Thanks, Bob.

I'm pretty sure most folks have been following the story of the Oklahoma family that had one infant son killed Monday night, his three year old brother couldn't be found, his sister and pregnant mother were hospitalized. The father was out of state on business when it happened.

Today, they found the 3 year old's body in a nearby lake. The mother and children had taken refuge in a bath tub. The storm ripped the children from their mother's grasp.

This did not occur in my county. I wanted to assist in the search, but we had homes destroyed here, and victims to assist. My brothers and sisters in LE and EM from near and far worked hard searching for the boy, and all of our hearts are broken. It doesn't seem to matter what you do, it's never enough.

Today, I finally realized just how ineffective and tired I am, and how really tired I am of being tired.

I gave my two weeks notice today.
            Last edited by Studedude; 05-26-2011, 06:49 PM.
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
              I gave my two weeks notice today.
              Even though your job has nothing to do with where I live. Or anywhere close. I still want to say thanks for everything you've done, Occifer Dave. From my earliest days on the SDC Forum and even the old Newsgroup, you were one I looked up to and respected for what you did for others.

So, how long before you go back to work? <grin>

Comment

What Matthew said, Dave; thanks for your service and perserverance. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  So, how long before you go back to work? <grin>
                  Last edited by Studedude; 05-29-2011, 06:12 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    What Matthew said, Dave; thanks for your service and perserverance. BP
                    Thanks, Bob. "Perseverance?" Shucks, it's only been 40.5 years. <G>
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      Even though your job has nothing to do with where I live. Or anywhere close. I still want to say thanks for everything you've done, Occifer Dave. From my earliest days on the SDC Forum and even the old Newsgroup, you were one I looked up to and respected for what you did for others.
                      Ditto... from a former EMT with an active LE brother.

Comment

Dave,

I will add my thanks and also congratulations for your long career. I will make the bold assumption that you are retiring? As a volunteer member of our local Salvation Army Advisory Board I would encourage you to check out your local chapter. The skills you have would be very much appreciated there I'm sure. You will be overwhelmed with the appreciation you receive and the good you can do. Just a suggestion.

Pat

PS, My daughter lives in Norman, and neices live in Edmund so I have been watching closely and keeping in touch.
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Dave, please add my voice to the list of those thanking you for your service.

You mentioned that you can't not work. Have you thought about setting up as a consultant to give emergency preparedness training to individuals, groups, and corporations? That could cover quite a range of activities, from giving a talk at a church picnic to helping a large corporation set up their own emergency ops center like you did for the county. You could visit peoples' homes, and help them identify the safest point of refuge in the existing structure, and show them how to make a better safe room. You could earn some income doing this, and have the satisfaction of knowing that, if the people take your advice to heart, lives will be saved in the next storm.

You could probably even do well offering training to other police departments. Even here in Alberta, we have had killer tornadoes, and you might be able to market tornado-specific emergency training to local first responders.

In any case, thanks, and all the best to you in your retirement/new endeavors.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I think most people really appreciate the work of the police. Don't pay any attention to the whining from the losers that you take out of business.

When I retired, I became more busy than when I was working. I'm sure you will settle into something that utilizes your experience and serves others. You just can't shut off a servants heart - nor should you....
                            Jon Stalnaker
                            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Two thumbs for Dave. YOU THE MAN!
                              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X