Front suspension parts interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front suspension parts interchange

IF it is a '51 COMMANDER I think it will work... not sure about a Champion. However, ISTR that you have to swap the WHOLE front end... if you try to mix 'n' match it doesn't work because the kingpins and lower knuckles are different (sometime in the 60's the parts were revised to change the caster? I think? They're different, anyhow.)

You don't like the solid inner bushings? I'm sure there'd be people happy to take them off your hands...

If you decide to use the disc brakes make sure you get the rear brakes from your donor car as well.

good luck,

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

IF it is a '51 COMMANDER I think it will work... not sure about a Champion. However, ISTR that you have to swap the WHOLE front end... if you try to mix 'n' match it doesn't work because the kingpins and lower knuckles are different (sometime in the 60's the parts were revised to change the caster? I think? They're different, anyhow.)

You don't like the solid inner bushings? I'm sure there'd be people happy to take them off your hands...

If you decide to use the disc brakes make sure you get the rear brakes from your donor car as well.

good luck,

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Front suspension parts interchange

Can any of you tell me with any amount of certainlty, if the front suspension upper and lower control arms, etc. from an approx. 1980 Avanti will bolt onto a 1951 Studebaker? I am contemplating doing this swap to gain the rubber bushed control arms, along with the disc brakes, etc......The parts sure look the same, but even if they bolt on , I'm afraid the track width may be wider, or ???? Also I seem to remember reading that the spindles may be higher or lower between the two.....Anybody know?
      Any help will be most appreciated.

Bob Lerch
      63R1-304

Comment

Commander - Champion are the same suspension-wise (springs excluded).

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Commander - Champion are the same suspension-wise (springs excluded).

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X