Stupid car expert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid car expert

I was driving my '65 around town and pulled into the barbecue place ....(I am 58) an older guy walked up and ask me if it was a 59 or 60, I told him it was a '65...he insisted Studebaker never made a '65...I took out my '65 Sales Brochure and I still do not think he was convinced...

I think a hidden camera caught him on tape.
    Andy
    62 GT

Comment

This gives me an idea for a Studebaker joke book, a compilation of all the wrong and rediculous "facts" associated with the Studebaker corporation that have been spoken by the non-Studebaker crowd.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

How many volumes are we talking?
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
          How many volumes are we talking?
          I'd like to see the book small enough to fit into my car's glovebox.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            I'm thinking it would be a weekly publication.
            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

A guy at a local cruise-in told me recently that he once owned a 1979 Excalibre that was made by Studebaker in Canada. I just nodded and carried on...
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

A guy at a local cruise-in told me recently that he once owned a 1979 Excalibre that was made by Studebaker in Canada. I just nodded and carried on...
                Partial credit to the man knowing the name Excalibur and Studebaker, few in the general public have enough problems knowing one or the other, or both exist. However, it's not the exact time that they put out a Stude powered Excalibur car .

There are times I would stand back and say "Meh, close enough." This might be one of those times, lol.
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                  There are times I would stand back and say "Meh, close enough." This might be one of those times, lol.
                  Well said John

We all know that at car shows there is a lot of time kill and a lot of folks go by just trying to strike up a conversation to be friendly. That can lead to a lot of the lack of semi-correct or erroneous information that is conveyed by the average looker.

Personally, I find that it's counter productive in most cases to try to correct most of the minutia and just thank them for stopping and tell them how much I appreciate their compliments.

It sure worked a couple of weeks ago when my 83 Avanti Driver took 2nd place modified over a lot of high priced Fords and Chevys.

Heart surgery and Pakistani insertions take accuracy, car shows are for friendships and enjoyment.

Bob

Comment

I like the guy in my area that has a '51 commander that has the rare "Tucker" transmission (it says so right on the body tag plate....someone used a letter stamp set to stamp along the top "Eng by Studebaker" and along the bottom "Transmission by Tucker"....they didn't even do a good job of stamping the letters). The first time I met this guy at a car show, I was young & dumb enough to think I could point out his errors. He was completely insulted by my questioning if he had any type of documentation to support how "rare" his car was. I've learned a lot about human nature & their cars since then.

Comment

Enjoyed a nice car show today in beautiful Guthrie, OK.

More than the normal number of comments today about how far, "Ahead of its time," Studebaker design was.

Then, there was the fellow that 'splained to me how Studebaker took their engines out of the oven, and buried them in sand, in order to allow the earth's magnetic field do some sort of something, which made the blocks tougher than anything else known to exist.

But, I most enjoyed visiting with the nice lady, that after 'splainin' to me how far Studebaker was ahead of the times, commenced to tell me the story about her brother totaling their parents' 1965 Studebaker El Presidente'.

We both agreed it was a shame that that happend, and were both grateful that her brother was not injured, 'cause, "He was just a young fellow at the time."

"How rare would that car be today?!," she asked.

"Well," I responded, "I've loved old cars and Studebakers for all my life. I've been attending car shows for as long as I can remember. More to the point, I've been to more Studebaker specific shows and meets than I have fingers and toes to count 'em on, and I've never seen one!"

"Boy," she says, shaking her head, "That's rare. I can only guess what it would be worth today."

"Me, too, boy howdy!!"
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                        As I recall there was a Stude /Excalibur connection but I can't remember what.
                        Anyone remeber what it was?

Comment

Brooks Stevens' Excalibur was based upon his "Studebaker SS" with Avanti power. It wasn't, at least not he best of my knowledge, any official connection to Studebaker, but his own design. Similar to Avanti Motors, he set up Excalibur Motors to produce his design using Chevy power...both small and big big engines were used.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

while the details are somewhat lost in my memory ........ placing cast iron - outside in the elements - before beginning the machining process ..... is indeed accurate . Not sure if this process is still in use. It might be '' old school '' .

Canadoug

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                              I am sure there are enough contributers here to assist with the book.
                              I will take one when it is finished.
                              Possible title..."Studebaker Bible for the Non Studebaker Owner"
                              Good Roads
                              Brian
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X