Cicadas are coming to South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cicadas are coming to South Bend

I just read an article that the Brood XIII cicadas will begin to emerge from the ground around June 1. This is a group of bugs that emerge every 17 years and live for approximately 30 days with the sole objective of producing offspring. While they are harmless (and some say good to eat), I suspect they will only create noise for us.

This first time I saw them when they emerged from our property I nearly took a dump in my pants. They looked like flys on steroids and we were over run with them. What a strange noise, and worse yet the noise when you roll over them with a car. Guess they will be showing up here too.

Eeech

Comment

This first time I saw them when they emerged from our property I nearly took a dump in my pants. They looked like flys on steroids and we were over run with them. What a strange noise, and worse yet the noise when you roll over them with a car. Guess they will be showing up here too.

Eeech

Comment

Bill the east got ours a few years back, this group is just hatching in the Indiana, Ohio area.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
        59 3E truck
        58 Starlight
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Bill the east got ours a few years back, this group is just hatching in the Indiana, Ohio area.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
          59 3E truck
          58 Starlight
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Pretty common critters here in southeast Kansas. When we were kids we would hunt for their shells when they moulted. And yes, they are noisy!

Chris Pile
            The Studebaker Special
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Pretty common critters here in southeast Kansas. When we were kids we would hunt for their shells when they moulted. And yes, they are noisy!

Chris Pile
              The Studebaker Special
              Midway Chapter SDC
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Time flies when your having fun. Did not have a time reference.

However they are ugly, large, and very noisy.

Time Warp

Comment

Time flies when your having fun. Did not have a time reference.

However they are ugly, large, and very noisy.

Time Warp

Comment

Even have them here in the "North Central Zone"....

glen Brose
                    Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

Even have them here in the "North Central Zone"....

glen Brose
                      Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

No....not quite like the elusive and seldom seen "Snipe",
                        just bugs that like to hang out in trees....and then start
                        making a lot of loud noise when you come up to them or
                        something else sets them off.....

glen Brose
                        Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

No....not quite like the elusive and seldom seen "Snipe",
                          just bugs that like to hang out in trees....and then start
                          making a lot of loud noise when you come up to them or
                          something else sets them off.....

glen Brose
                          Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

This batch (Brood XII) have been underground for the past 17 years. As youngsters they burrowed into the ground and have been subsisting off of the roots of trees ever since. When the soil temperature hits 64-65 degrees they emerge head up into trees. The noise that you hear is their mating call. They will be gone in 30 days after they appear.

Comment

This batch (Brood XII) have been underground for the past 17 years. As youngsters they burrowed into the ground and have been subsisting off of the roots of trees ever since. When the soil temperature hits 64-65 degrees they emerge head up into trees. The noise that you hear is their mating call. They will be gone in 30 days after they appear.

Comment

Working...
                              X