Studebaker made cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker made cars?

had the Hawk out today and an onlooker in a parking lot stopped to snap some pictures...
    i kid you not, his first comment, "Awesome! I didn't know Studebaker made cars!"...

instead of laughing too hard at him, i just left it at, "Oh yeah, they also had the Avanti and the Lark"...

i figured that was more than enough to spin the gears in his noggin...

I would have asked him what it was that he associated 'Studebaker' with, then. We know the corporation itself owned several non-automotive companies, but they never used the Studebaker name on any of their products.

Craig

Comment

Craig,, That brings up an interesting topic.. Let's see, wasn't there a vacuum cleaner, a Gravley garden tractor?? What else ?? I thought for a while that STP might have been a spin off of Studebaker in error.. Gee ! I'd sure like to know what they were involved in..

Comment

I often heard people say that that they didn't know that Studebaker made trucks, but never about cars. More common, is people that ask who made Studebakers.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Lots of towns now have restaurants named "Studabakers" or some other mispelled derivative. It's a memorable name and lots of fun to say. There is one such restaurant in Orillia and if I showed up with my car, I'm sure some hop head would say the same "I didn't know Studebaker made cars!"
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I get all the time "Cool, I didn't know Studebaker made trucks".

The day after we got our Champ, we were setting in the left turn lane at a light in St. Augustine Fl. waiting for it to turn green and a guy was going from left to right through the intersection in front of us. I looked at him and he was checking out the Champ and gave us a thumbs up. He wasn't paying a darn bit of attention to the road and then side swipes another car to the left of him. I seen all kinds of parts flying through the air and hit it pretty hard. I told my wife, it was a good thing he was not driving down by the beach where all the bikinis were, he would have wiped out a whole line of cars.

In all the years I have been driving the cool cars I had, I never had that happen before.
            sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
            Bubbaland South
            Resident Machinist

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
              Lots of towns now have restaurants named "Studabakers" or some other mispelled derivative. It's a memorable name and lots of fun to say. There is one such restaurant in Orillia and if I showed up with my car, I'm sure some hop head would say the same "I didn't know Studebaker made cars!"
              When I first went to a new local restaurant named Avantis, I wore an Avanti sweatshirt. (They didn't give me a free meal <G>.)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Avanti's Pizza Restaurant is on Williams street in Mystic, CT. Been by it, but we have not dined there yet. Would be fun to stop when we are driving the Avanti.
                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

We have Avanti tools and Avanti Jewelery. I met the owner of Avanti Jewelery when he was in the Fox Valley Mall a few years ago. I showed him the back of my jacket and told him I had a Lark with a JTS engine in it. He told me he was an Avanti owner and showed me the model he had in his display case. His car was at a shop getting a 400 sbc put into it, and he wasn't exactly wowed(really, he was ready to lose it, and pull it out of the shop and take it elsewhere) over the shop owner's time frame to completion because it had been in the shop for ages, waiting for this engine to go into it.
                  1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

There's some company (probably out of china) that puts the Studebaker name on small personal electronics. My wife actually has a CD player she bought at some big box store years ago that has some studebaker script across it's face.
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                      We have Avanti tools and Avanti Jewelery.
                      <snip>
                      You forgot condoms... Somehow that seems related to the two items you listed
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I get the "Didn't Know Studebaker made trucks?" question all the time.
                        Good Roads
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

the guy associated Studebaker with TRUCKS...
                          he knew about the trucks, didn't know about the cars...

i've always heard the reverse, first time ever hearing yes-trucks no-cars...

Comment

Studebaker sub-companies in no particular order:
                            Gravely, Onan, CTL, Clarke, STP, Gering, Big 4 tools
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                            X