'64 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 Daytona

Here are two low quality pics of my car i would like help identifying it a little better it has me slightly confused on the strange combination of options in it. Like power steering but not power brakes it has four wheel drums and seems to have a very high rear end gear but low transmission gears the car can barely go a hundred without screaming for its life. I will post the cars serial number and engine id code later today i ran into a problem last week being that i think i blew the head gasket but its strange it began to skip on a cylinder and run very rough ive tweaked and tested everything except the carb because it was a newer edelbrock 4 barrel but im goin to do a compression test before i go tearing that engine apart. Still it was rebuilt in 1991 but sat until 2005 when all that was changed was the plugs wires cap rotor and carburetor and yes i may be a young guy but i still love my classics. im going to take more pictures as well in the morning.
    Attached Files

Over revving?

OK, if the the head gasket is still blown from driving 100 MPH with the engine running at 5000 to 6000 RPM, that would be why you have a dead Cylinder, it is full of antifreeze.

The car is not strange at all, as all accessories were OPTIONAL individually, not sold in packages as newer cars are. You could order it with any and all options you wanted if they were allowed.
    Five wheels and five Tires (on Cars only!) were Standard, pretty much everything else was OPTIONAL.
    Certain things would not happen like, Red interiors with Green paint and Superchargers and four speed Transmissions on 6 Cly. Engines.

If the engine revs too high at Interstate speeds, simply read the tag at 7:00 on the differential rear cover and you may find that someone ordered the car with, or later installed LOW 3.54, 3.73, 4.09, 4.27, or 4.56 drag racing gears, any of which are too much for sustained high speed without the Overdrive Transmission. High numerical gears, are actually LOW gear ratios. It is as simple as that.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome to the Studebaker Forum. The '64 HT is one of the more desirable models of Studebaker (I used to have one, too). Definitely do the compression check first. Your problem may be something less severe than a head gasket. Do you know if it is a 259 or 289 motor? The 259 was standard on the Daytona, and the 289 was one of the many options available. On top of the block, to the left of the gooseneck is a small machined surface that will have number stamped on it. That will tell which motor, and when it was made. Is it an automatic or standard shift? Floor or column shifter? As far as the drum brakes, there are disk brake conversions available (that I would highly recommend, especially if you intend to drive at 100 mph.)
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

I think your questions have been answered in the previous posts. Let me just say that my '65 Cruiser also came with power steering, but not power brakes. Although I realize these items were ordered seperately, I just can't figure why somebody would want one and not the other.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
          I think your questions have been answered in the previous posts. Let me just say that my '65 Cruiser also came with power steering, but not power brakes. Although I realize these items were ordered separately, I just can't figure why somebody would want one and not the other.
          There are a lot of cars out there with strange combinations. The '64 Daytona convertible I sold last year was ordered with 289, Powershift, radio, clock, reclining buckets, full wheel covers, but manual steering, non-power drum brakes, two barrel carb, single exhaust. Actually, I found the finned drum brakes to be very good. I wouldn't have bothered with a disc conversion on it.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

With your drum brakes, you would have a dual circuit braking system...front discs still had the single circuit. If you have the finned drums, they can works quite well if they are adjusted properly even without power, but you do need a heavier foot than you might be used to.

The big question is the type of transmission you have, automatic, 4 on the floor or '3 on the tree' (column). A 64 Daytona hardtop (J8 model) would have come with a standard Dana 27 3.07 for automatic, a 3.73 with or without overdrive, but there were optional Dana 44 rear ends with 3.31 and 3.73. Some of these 27 and 44 were also available with Twin Traction. Usually you'd have the 27 with a 259, and the 44 with a more powerful 289, but my 259 wagon has a 44 because its heavier, for example. If you have a 3.73 without overdrive, or if the overdrive isn't working, don't be expecting 100 MPH. Overdrive is a lever under the dash left of the steering wheel on 3 on the column only. It should be pushed all the way in. To lock it out, pull it all the way out. Do this when you are stopped. Also remember that if you have a 4 speed floor shift, the ratios are such that they are closer spaced than modern 5 speeds, so either you tend to bog off the line in 1st, or it spins fairly fast on the highway in 4th

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              [B]OK, if the the head gasket is still blown from driving 100 MPH with the engine running at 5000 to 6000 RPM, that would be why you have a dead Cylinder, it is full of antifreeze.
              B]
              im sorry but no the cylinder is not full of anitfreeze its blowing exhaust and oil out of the number 8 cylinder towards the firewall.

Comment

Its definitely time to pull the heads. You'll be lucky if you didn't blow something up pretty bad running at those speeds and at those rpms. Try to remember that the forces within the engine are multiplied geometrically as the rpms go up. You may also consider yourself fortunate that you did not grenade the transmission and cut your legs off in the process.
                sals54

Comment

[COLOR="blue"][B]Certain things would not happen like, Red interiors with Green paint
                  The 1953 Commander Starliner that I restored and showed for nine years was/is Tahoe Green with red vinyl interior. I knew the car since new. Many people asked why I would make that combination. I told them that was the way that it was originally. I think that some did not believe me.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Color Combos that should NOT have happened, and some that DID not!

Somehow Gary I knew that one was going to bite me, because I do remember the '53/'54 that Ed Reynolds Sr. bought new just like yours.

But you do have to note that I was talking about the newer cars that we are talking about;
                    '63 to '66's, and it would NOT have happened to one of those, plus who would want something that ugly as the Colors used on these newer models definitely would not work.

I think it goes to our old Forum saying: "Never say never"!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Times were diffrerent back in the pre 70's. Power steering may have been needed for lots of parking and power brakes just cost more money in some people's eyes. On a Stude that combination is not at all unusual and other makes were often ordered in a similar way. At one time I owned a 68 Hemi Roadrunner with column automatic, rubber carpet, power steering and no power brakes. The radio was an eight track with am not am/fm. All this to save some money and maybe a little weight. In today's world evrything comes in packages so individual choices are limited.

Comment

But you do have to note that I was talking about the newer cars that we are talking about;
                        '63 to '66's, and it would NOT have happened to one of those, plus who would want something that ugly as the Colors used on these newer models definitely would not work.

I think it goes to our old Forum saying: "Never say never"![/B][/COLOR]
                        That's right Rich...NEVER say 'never'! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=chestnut

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                          Times were diffrerent back in the pre 70's. Power steering may have been needed for lots of parking and power brakes just cost more money in some people's eyes. On a Stude that combination is not at all unusual and other makes were often ordered in a similar way. At one time I owned a 68 Hemi Roadrunner with column automatic, rubber carpet, power steering and no power brakes. The radio was an eight track with am not am/fm. All this to save some money and maybe a little weight. In today's world evrything comes in packages so individual choices are limited.
                          Nels, I agree. I had a 68 Chevy Biscayne with 427/425 hp, 4 speed, 4.10 gears and drum brakes. It had power nothing except to the rear wheels. Window sticker was about $3000. For a 21 year old it was no problem to drive, in fact it was a joy every time you stepped on the loud pedal or banged a gear. Our priorities change as we get older. I have thought about trying to duplicate it more than once, but I am afraid I would miss my A/C and power options today.

Pat
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Power brakes were not necessary if you had good drums and were used to drum brakes anyway. The brake booster on my GT Hawk did not work and I never bothered to fix it. The power steering was nice for parking, but not a necessity.
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              The 1953 Commander Starliner that I restored and showed for nine years was/is Tahoe Green with red vinyl interior. I knew the car since new. Many people asked why I would make that combination. I told them that was the way that it was originally. I think that some did not believe me.
                              Maybe it was ordered new by Santa Claus...
                              Jon Stalnaker
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X