R-2 Super Lark at Apple Blossom AACA Show, Winchester, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-2 Super Lark at Apple Blossom AACA Show, Winchester, VA

Yesterday was the annual AACA Apple Blossom car show in Winchester, VA. At least five Studebakers were in attendance, but the show stopper (IMHO) was Max Mosse's recently restored full package '64 Daytona hardtop.
    The car is interesting in a number of respects, one being that it was sold new by Porterfield Studebaker in Martinsburg, WV and it has spent its entire life in the Martinsburg vicinity. Another aspect is the unusual combination of color and equipment (see thumbnails below).
    When the new car arrived at Porterfield's, the dealer's son, Jimmy Porterfield, wanted the car in the worst way, but his dad thought it was too hot for a teenage driver and wouldn't let him have it. It was sold locally. A few years later it came up for sale needing some work (blown head gasket and such). Torrey Kirby bought it and (fortunately) put it in his garage rather than on the field with the 100 or so other cars slowly sinking in to the mud (long story). A number of people had tried to buy the car from Torrey, but first reply was "I'm going to restore it". Later when he decided he couldn't restore it he decided he would only sell it to someone who would keep it in Martinsburg. So, more than ten years ago Forum member Ron Butts persuaded Torrey to give him first refusal if he ever wanted to sell the car. As fate would have it, Ron had just started the build on his fantastic 59 Lark when Torrey called me and told him it was for sale. No way at that point could he buy it. Ron told Torrey to give me a couple of days and I would get back to him. That's when Ron called Jimmy and told him it was for sale. Needless to say, Jimmy bought it. Jimmy owns and runs a large body shop and has been in to custom Chevrolets for a while. He decided he didn't want to bother with the restoration after all and he sold the car to his long time friend, retired Martinsburg policeman Max Mosse. Even though he hadn't bought the car, Ron, also a long-time friend of both Jimmy and Max, wound up doing about 99% of all the mechanical work to include engine, trans, rear end and suspension.
    Max has done the car right- better than new, but not over restored. He told me yesterday that he knows it will go 100 mph because when he was merging on to I-81 to head to Winchester he goosed it to merge (long merge lane). He wondered why everyone was going so slow then he looked down at the speedometer- 100 mph. He also said he can also see the gas gage needle moving down at the same time.
    Missing horn button- interesting story. The original had an interesting personalized engraving that Max wanted to keep with the car... but he can't find it now, but is still looking.
    Enjoy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 53k; 05-08-2011, 06:54 AM. Reason: add better info courtesy of Ron Butts
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

That is a beautiful 64 R2. I can't wait to see it. Jeff

Comment

Heads up for anyone that may be interested. The 64 R2 described above and his 59 Lark 4 door, 259 automatic Regal that is a perfect example of a beautiful survivor will be going on ebay soon. Both of these cars were sold here in Martinsburg and have stayed here. Max has owned the 59 for about 30 years and he bought it off of the original owner. If interested, pm me and I will give you his phone number.

Comment

That's a nice car! Does anyone know if Jimmy Porterfield is a member of this forum. I'd be curious to know if he remembers my Dad's 64 GT Hawk. It was ordered at Porterfield's Garage and delivered to my Dad in January of 1964.
        Randy Ridenour
        Frostburg,MD
        1964 GT Hawk
        sigpic

Comment

Randy, Jim's not a member of the forum, but I will ask him if he remembers your dad's Hawk.

Comment

Thanks! My dad's GT Hawk is black with a dark red (maroon?) interior and 4-speed transmission. My dad, Robert (Bob) Ridenour was a wood shop teacher at South Hagerstown High and worked part time at the Charlestown dog track. Jimmy or one of his siblings might have gone to school with my mom Beverly Ridenour as she graduated from Martinsburg High in the early fifties. Her maiden name was DeBaugh and she grew up on a farm between Martinsburg and Shepardstown. The Hawk was not their first Studebaker so they might have been repeat customers at Porterfield's Garage. I showed the car at the Atlantic Zone meet in Martinsburg a couple of years ago and was hoping to talk to Jimmy but I didn't run into him.
            Randy Ridenour
            Frostburg,MD
            1964 GT Hawk
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
              Heads up for anyone that may be interested. The 64 R2 described above and his 59 Lark 4 door, 259 automatic Regal that is a perfect example of a beautiful survivor will be going on ebay soon. Both of these cars were sold here in Martinsburg and have stayed here. Max has owned the 59 for about 30 years and he bought it off of the original owner. If interested, pm me and I will give you his phone number.
              The pictures of the Super Lark speak for themselves, but I can tell you all, you haven't seen a true survivor until you see the '59.
              Attached Files
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks, Paul J. That is some survivor! It only needs a few detail items, like: turn the poor hawk 180 degrees so that he isn't standing on his head (horn button), add the anti-rattle cushions to the hood rod and turn the air cleaner a bit <G>.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have an interest in both cars. Please post a link here to the eBay listings. I, and probably others, no longer follow eBay listings on a regular basis.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    I have an interest in both cars. Please post a link here to the eBay listings. I, and probably others, no longer follow eBay listings on a regular basis.
                    does not appear to be listed yet. i like the '59... . i'm starting to take a real liking to the "2-eyed" larks.
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Sit tight fellas.....it will probably be 7 to 10 days before he lists them on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        Thanks, Paul J. That is some survivor! It only needs a few detail items, like: turn the poor hawk 180 degrees so that he isn't standing on his head (horn button), add the anti-rattle cushions to the hood rod and turn the air cleaner a bit <G>.
                        That horn button bothered me a bit also. I'm wondering if it was installed that way originally. I talked to Max today and he told me that when he bought the car 32 years ago from the original owner, he asked if the wipers were single speed or two speed. The seller told him he didn't know. They had never driven it in the rain. Max says he has never had them on either.

Comment

Here is the ebay link to the 59 survivor.

Comment

Here is the ebay link to the 59 survivor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-...6#ht_500wt_977
                            I know this is Max's first eBay listing, but I wish he had put in more detail. Like ZERO RUST ever, may have never even been in the rain, bought from original owner, etc.

Comment

Paul, as the old adage goes: "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink unless you brick him".

Comment

Working...
                              X