Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove door panels?

Hello-

I have a 1955 Studebaker 2 door sedan,with the wrap around wind shield.
    I need to take the door panels off,how do you do this without ruining them?

Thanks

55CMNDR

Remove door handles and window cranks, remove armrest, carefully pry panel clips beginning at the door bottom, slip out of top panel trim. Don't be concerned about ruining the clips. They are available.
    Last edited by rockne10; 05-06-2011, 05:34 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Door handles? Unless i missed something, i was talking talking the interior door panel.

55CMNDR-

Comment

Originally posted by 55cmndr View Post
        Door handles? Unless i missed something, i was talking talking the interior door panel.

55CMNDR-
        The inside door handle and window crank must come off to remove the door panel.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

If you can open the door from the inside without grabbing a handle your beast is different than mine. LOL!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

here's a semi-related question: is there any easy way to separate the exterior door skin from the door? My doors have tons of rust inside 'em and piles of debris. I'm racking my brains trying to figure out an easy way to solve this quandry. It would be a pity if I put piles of work into my car only to have rust inside the doors eat through and wreck the whole works.
            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
              here's a semi-related question: is there any easy way to separate the exterior door skin from the door? My doors have tons of rust inside 'em and piles of debris. I'm racking my brains trying to figure out an easy way to solve this quandry. It would be a pity if I put piles of work into my car only to have rust inside the doors eat through and wreck the whole works.
              You can't remove the 'skins' without ruining them. Use a shop-vac,and a lot of elbow grease to cleanup the insides of the doors.
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

1st -above: unless handles are screwed in to the regulator, you'll benefit from a special GM tool to remove the handles and hopefully retaining the Jesus clips.....if you find that tool (I've seen them on the NAPA small hardware tree), those handle clips are usually nearby.........I continue to treat my door insides the old fashion way: make sure the drain slits are open, vacuum if possible or mini-sweep, then $2-brush in waste oil and let it sit overnight to drain out the opened slits......paint in the oil liberally. Once drip-free, make sure you tape closed all the openings in the door for smell containment (since most cars are driven in great weather, or with some rear window cracked....little smell should get into the cabin, especially when using the "green tree referesher"......

Comment

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Good pictures of the handle and clip. I wondered if he was familiar with the clip method of attaching handles since most cars use screws.
                    I wish I had seen something like this before I tried to remove the first ones. At least my first attempt was on a junker. Later I cut a notch in an old putty knife and used it to remove the clips. I still use it ocasionally. The one in the pictures is fancier, but mine was cheap.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Looks like some folks are missing a few key words in the OP's thread starter...

They read something like this~ "1955 Studebaker 2 door sedan"
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

After the window crank & door handles are off, use that tool shown above (it's cheap & an invaluable must for Studes) to also slip between the door panel clips to pry them out one at a time. It really works well for the '60 Lark's outside stainless trim clips, as well. I put masking tape on that flat tool's side that may touch the paint. It pries in a wider, less damaging manner than just about any other tool. One tip, if I may: Hold your hand under the inside door handles and window cranks on the opposite side of where you are slipping the tool in. Those spring clips can fly a decent distance and are coated with disappearing ink from the factory.

Comment

MY 55K has the inside door handles and window cranks that have a screw holding them to the regulator. The OP has an UltraVista so they may have changed to the Jezuz clips half way through the production year.
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

My Commmander is a 16G8F2

Any ideas guys?

To confirm, my Studebaker is a 16G8F2 model, it does have the Ultra-Vista Wrap-Around Windshield.

My door handles and window cranks are held in by screws,So how can I remove the door panels? I am still not clear on this.

It was built in August of 1955,just 2 weeks before the 1956 models were being produced, according to the archivist at the Studebaker museum.

Also, can I get tools at Napa for this?

I appreciate all of everyone's help.

55CMNDR

Comment

Here you go 55CMNDR. Go to the bottom of the page and you will find the tool 4961 Studebaker has in his post. It says NAPA Canada only because that's where I am. They are inexpensive and very easy to use. I would suggest using a putty knife to find the clips. Push the putty knife up behind the panel and slide it along the door until it contacts a clip. Remove it and push the clip tool up so that the clip is at the bottom of the slot in the tool and pry out GENTLY. The clip should come out with a minimum of persuasion. The main concern is the condition of 56 year old door panel backing.

Terry
                              Last edited by dictator27; 05-11-2011, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X