New guy with 1960 Lark wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with 1960 Lark wagon

Hey guys, I have a Lark wagon that I'm looking to make a fun little driver out of. Here's how she sits as of now.

What recommendations do you guys have for me? Its the 6 cyl model with 3 speed manual on the column. Also, if anyone knows where I can find the two front trim pieces, that would be great!!! I'm missing both sides. Looking forward to getting some tips from everyone!

Welcome! If you haven't already, I'd suggest joining the national Studebaker Drivers Club. The magazine gotten from that membership has a hord of info in each; plus cool articles and classified adds! Next, check into a local Studebaker Drivers Club chapter for cool events, fun meetings, and many knowledgeable people on Studebakers

I like the car! (Of course I am biased) Since I am a fan of 6's and V8's, I'd be tempted 'myself' to warm up that flathead six just for kicks! Also, if you haven't already, upgrading from 6 cylinder brakes to V8 brakes; or taking the plunge and going to Turner disc brakes; would be a great addition
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Welcome, to the forum. Good to see another wagon fan. There are others here. Although the Studebaker Drivers Club is one of the largest (if not the largest) vehicle clubs in the world, this forum is populated by just a tiny segment of our Studebaker members. Also, this being a Friday, many that would be here, are in transit to club events, getting cars prepped, or taking the wives out to dinner. So be patient for replies. I checked before responding to your post and there were only 25 members and 41 guest viewing the forum.

While waiting for additional replies, it would be good for you to click on the SDC home page and explore more about our club and what we have to offer. (It would be good to just open another tab and you can switch back and forth to this forum)

Also, you will do well to let us know where you are located. We have chapters in all states (some have multiple chapters) and in many countries. Give us a little more about your auto experience and what you are wanting to do with your car.

There are some pretty knowledgable folks on here from time to time and others who sell parts. Just keep checking and others will reply as they log on and see your post.

Glad to have you with us!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Looks like it already is a driver!!
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I went back and re-read your initial post. Those stainless steel trim pieces for the front should not be too difficult to find. You might do well to try to attend some of our meets with a combined swap meet to locate them. Then you could carry them home yourself with out worrying about them getting bent and ruined in shipping.

The car looks black in the photo. Painted headlight rings look good on a black car. I also like the clean look of the front bumper. Bumper guards are common on larks, but that one looks good without them. Most of the six cylinder larks I have seen came with the small dog dish hub caps. Full wheel covers are also available. For your car, the dog dish with beauty rings would look great on stock wheels.

The stance of the car looked good in the photo. You also mentioned that the car was manual shift. Does it have overdrive?
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If you are in So. Cal. come to La Palma. I will have some.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              I went back and re-read your initial post. Those stainless steel trim pieces for the front should not be too difficult to find. You might do well to try to attend some of our meets with a combined swap meet to locate them. Then you could carry them home yourself with out worrying about them getting bent and ruined in shipping.

The car looks black in the photo. Painted headlight rings look good on a black car. I also like the clean look of the front bumper. Bumper guards are common on larks, but that one looks good without them. Most of the six cylinder larks I have seen came with the small dog dish hub caps. Full wheel covers are also available. For your car, the dog dish with beauty rings would look great on stock wheels.

The stance of the car looked good in the photo. You also mentioned that the car was manual shift. Does it have overdrive?
              Yep, its got overdrive, so it cruises really nicely down the road!

I'm thinking I might shoot a fresh coat of black on the rims, and get some spider caps and beauty rings. From what I've seen, that should look pretty nice. I also need to find or make some inner door panels. The front ones are missing completely, and the rear ones are rotten on the bottom. I'm thinking it might be easier to just make some.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                If you are in So. Cal. come to La Palma. I will have some.
                Ha ha, I'm a LONG ways from there....I'm from Omaha Nebraska. I'll update my profile.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Give us a little more about your auto experience and what you are wanting to do with your car.
                  I grew up on a farm. My dad did all of his own mechanic work, and taught me to do several things for myself when it comes to cars. I've always loved custom stuff, so I'd like to get a little bit creative with this Lark. For now, I think I'd like to put some lake pipes on it, do something with the wheels, and fix the interior a bit. Mechanically, its pretty decent. I had to hone out the brake master cylinder because I had a squishy pedal. That seemed to take care of my brake system. It didn't want to idle, but a quick cleaning of the carb took care of that.

I had one of my buddies at work photoshop some lake pipes onto the car. He also cleaned up the pic a bit and added some different wheels and tires. I think it looks pretty good!

Comment

Good photo shop job. The correct wheel covers (small or large) with the neat Studebaker lazy "S" will look about as good as any you could use on that car. Unless my impression is wrong about the Nebraska terrain, living where the roads are relatively flat and straight will allow you to enjoy the best of that Lark's 6 cylinder engine.

In the hills and curves where I live, the engine and suspension would be constantly challenged, overworked, and beat up. If you have the money, there is a company (Cathcart) who can build you a flathead Studebaker 6 that will give you the performance to justify the lake pipes.

If you are new to Studebakers, you should consider a trip to our national meet in Springfield, Mo. this year. In addition to seeing more Studebakers than you knew still existed, there will be parts vendors there with possibly everything you need. If your car is ready for a road trip...it will be welcome. Otherwise, just bring your favorite truck to haul all your goodies back home. The fun, new friends and contacts you could make will be worth the trip.

It sounds like you are relatively young. We need young enthusiastic new members and again...welcome. It is the young and enthusiastic that keep us older guys awake!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Silverhawk,
                      how do you upgrade from 6 cylinder brakes to 8 cylinder brakes. I have that problem on a 57 Silver Hawk. Thanks

Comment

Omaha, is growing new forum members, welcome, you make the second to join from the Omaha area in the last couple of weeks.

As Jclary suggested, you should clear the calendar and travel to Springfield MO June 19th-25th, Thursday the 23rd will be the largest 1 day concentration of cars for judging and display only cars, Or park at the Ozark Empire Fairgrounds and look around.

And I would bet those fender side trim as well as the front panel (above the headlights) trim pieces could be found at the swap meet also at the fairgrounds.
                        Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 05-07-2011, 05:49 AM.
                        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Change to 8 cyl backing plates and drums - or upgrade to disk brakes from Turner. I believe I have the backing plates and drums for a 63 Lark I converted to disk, someone here can tell you if they would fit.

Comment

pdrnec,
                            Thanks for the info. I did not know the Turner brakes would fit on the five bolt pattern of a six cylinder. Is the conversion kit difficult to install. I do not have power brakes. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by aftontrix View Post
                              pdrnec,
                              Thanks for the info. I did not know the Turner brakes would fit on the five bolt pattern of a six cylinder. Is the conversion kit difficult to install. I do not have power brakes. Thanks
                              Here's the guy to ask:

Instructions are clear and easy to follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X