Just when you thought no more existed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when you thought no more existed

Just discovered the existence of one of the rare studebaker models, a President "FE" 7 passenger State Tourer. Posting the pics. It is missing the orginal Straight eight, Does anyone know what the engine is they put in it? A later Studebaker 6 cyl.? Anyone recognize it?

Update: Based on more recent information it appears that this is a 1929 Commander Regal Tourer for Five and not a President as I had previously been led to believe.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2011, 08:37 AM. Reason: Updated Information

Holy moly.. I'd trade my stainless business for that.

Just think, it could look sorta like this...

Last edited by mbstude; 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Very interesting. Does the body tag have FE on it? Looks more like a 1929-30 Commander Model GJ Six?? In an event a very rare car. Send numbers if available.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The 1929-30 President and Commander Tourings look almost identical though the President is a larger car. All of the President tourings were Eights (336 c.i.) and rode on the 135" wheelbase. The Commander was available either as a Six or small Eight (250 c.i.), both on a wheel base of 120." The only major outward difference is the President has ribbed side aprons (above the running boards) whereas the Commander has smooth side aprons. Since the photo you posted shows the smooth aprons my conclusion is a Commander (see above). The body or serial number would tell me for certain.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by FE- L2 - 57 View Post
          Does anyone know what the engine is they put in it? A later Studebaker 6 cyl.? Anyone recognize it?
          'Can't be a much later engine, Dick; can it?

When did they stop using an external, "side" water pump as on the subject engine? BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

One could probably turn restoring that car in to a worthwhile hobby!
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hey Shawn, nice find. Does the cowl tag say FE L? I have a extra FE chassis to drop that body on. Then your brother could have the back seat he's needing. See you in Indy.
              Rex

Comment

Wow, that would make a one-of-a-kind rat rod! Maybe a straight eight engine (a good running Packard should be easy to find.....and it's 'in the family'). No cutting of the body, leave the paint, etc. Could always be restored later.

(Ducking for cover....................<G>)
                Last edited by r1lark; 05-04-2011, 06:10 PM. Reason: correct stupid spelling errors......
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                X