Never saw this after hibernation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Never saw this after hibernation

I have fogged my engines for over thirty years no problems in the spring upon re-start.

This year after she fired a plume of smoke poured from the exhaust.........then ceased.........five minutes later.....the car looked like a smoke factory..........this continued for almost thirty minutes.

I thought oil poured down the carb would coat the requisite parts....then drip to the pan.

Why all the smoke for 30 minutes??

I always thought Mystery Oil or tranny fluid for a quick burn off....

Comment

The first plume was residual oil in the cylinders burning off. The second smoke screen was oil laying in the muffler waiting for the exhaust to get hot enough to burn it off.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
        The first plume was residual oil in the cylinders burning off. The second smoke screen was oil laying in the muffler waiting for the exhaust to get hot enough to burn it off.

N8 and me must have poured a quart of Krioil into a 56 GH cylinders to free it up. We started it up, the smoke cleared up and we went for a spin. I nailed the gas and we send down a smoke screen that could cover a Panzer tank attack.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Excellent explanation, Dwain. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

that 56J had glasspacks too... my theory is some of that oil soaked the packing of the mufflers. Started smoking again after the heat riser opened and blew out the mouse nest scared the whee out of me but it did eventually stop and car ran fine.

nate
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

A customer with an early '60s English Ford (don't remember what model) called the shop I was working in asking to bring the car in for a look. He had changed his own oil and now it was smoking heavily. By the time he arrived, the car was no longer smoking. We determined that when he poured new oil in the engine, it couldn't drain down quick enough so it pooled up in the head and some of it ran down the valve guides to be burned.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

If you poutred the oil down the carb, some wold have gone into whichever cylinder had the intake valve open & partially filled the cylinder. I once decided to oil my flathead engine by removing the spark plugs and pouring in the oil. i was curious to see how much oil it would take and darn if one cylindfer didn't take the whole quart before it occured to me that it was filling the cylinder and leaking into the exhaust manifold. I cranked the engine to work in the oil, leaving the spark plugs off. dumb me used a remote starter switch and had my head under the hood when oil squirted out the spark plug holes and ricocheted off the hood unto the adjacent wall - and my head. i put the spark plugs back in and started the car - and created smoke - incredible amounts of it. i may not be smarter now but at least i'm more experienced.

alanahasan

Comment

Working...
                X