Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Normal Temp Guage Reading ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Normal Temp Guage Reading ...

for a '61 Lark VIII? I had some issues with it overheating a bit last weekend, and replaced the water pump with a new one from Palmetto Studebaker. I pulled out the radiator and flushed it(saved the anti-freeze, as it was very green and looked fresh, so I didn't think it needed replacing). I drove the car around today, still minus AC(didn't really need it, and the sending unit is still broken and has to be replaced). The temp guage needle pretty much sat at the fartherest right end of that little black box in the center, which is where it stayed back before I had overheating issues, which was in much cooler weather. When I'd stop or had to drive slower, though, it was ease a bit to the right of the black box. It still wasn't close to the "H", or even the black line right before the "H", but it was still "outside the box", so to speak. Is this normal, or should I start thinking about replacing the thermostat now? Also, I'm still having problems with the engine stalling out when I stop or take my foot off the gas, once the engine has heated up and I've been driving a bit. It runs fine at first, but the longer I drive it, the worse that problem becomes. I don't know if that is related to the engine temp, or is just a coincidence and may be caused by something totally different, like something with the carbureator, maybe. If I keep my foot on the accelerator while holding down the brake pedel with my left foot(like I'm driving a 3-speed)at stops, I can keep the car from stalling out, but I really doubt that's good for the car in the long run.

I also managed to tweak around with the turn signal arm and get the signals working again, though the right rear light bulb burned out. No problem replacing it, until I actually broke a piece off the socket. It was just so old and corroded that it broke right off as I was putting the new bulb in, so right now, I don't have either a signal, brake or tail light on that side. A guy I know says he can fix the socket with solder, so I've got to check with him tomorrow on that. MY priority now, though, is to find out if the car is running at a normal temp, or if I should be concerned at where the temp guage is sitting, and what's causing the engine to shut off when it's been running awhile. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, since everything y'all have told me so far has helped.

pitbulllady

The temperature doesn't sound too bad, but it's worth keeping an eye on. The stalling at hotter temperatures could be the carburetor approaching vapor lock, or it can be a defective ignition coil. Sometimes they can stop working when they get hot. IF it was a coil your car would probably die no matter what you did with the accelerator, though. I suspect a fuel related issue. Others on the forum will have much better information to give you on that topic.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

The temperature doesn't sound too bad, but it's worth keeping an eye on. The stalling at hotter temperatures could be the carburetor approaching vapor lock, or it can be a defective ignition coil. Sometimes they can stop working when they get hot. IF it was a coil your car would probably die no matter what you did with the accelerator, though. I suspect a fuel related issue. Others on the forum will have much better information to give you on that topic.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Like Scott, my first thought was a vapor lock condition. If I were you, I'd first check to see if the fuel line from the pump to the carb is standing off from the intake and block like it's supposed to be; if it's contacting the intake it might be absorbing heat and vaporizing the gas as it reaches the carb. Decreased fuel flow (during stops, for instance) could then easily flash the gas in the line into vapor. The fact that it took you a few minutes to restart (as you posted previously) lends support to the vapor lock theory.

As for the gauge reading, it's possible that the wire that connects to the sender is corroded or dirty and is sending a high reading. Remove the sender wire (it's the orange one - only one in the car!) that goes to the sender on the back of the driver's side head and use a bright block or some electronics cleaner spray to clean both of the connectors. Then reconnect and see if there's any change. You might find it's reading more normally after that! If not, I'd check the sender itself before pulling the thermostat.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Like Scott, my first thought was a vapor lock condition. If I were you, I'd first check to see if the fuel line from the pump to the carb is standing off from the intake and block like it's supposed to be; if it's contacting the intake it might be absorbing heat and vaporizing the gas as it reaches the carb. Decreased fuel flow (during stops, for instance) could then easily flash the gas in the line into vapor. The fact that it took you a few minutes to restart (as you posted previously) lends support to the vapor lock theory.

As for the gauge reading, it's possible that the wire that connects to the sender is corroded or dirty and is sending a high reading. Remove the sender wire (it's the orange one - only one in the car!) that goes to the sender on the back of the driver's side head and use a bright block or some electronics cleaner spray to clean both of the connectors. Then reconnect and see if there's any change. You might find it's reading more normally after that! If not, I'd check the sender itself before pulling the thermostat.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
          X