Windshield visor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield visor.

While I am in the pricing mode... I have a windshield visor that I removed from a 51 Stude years ago. I always thought that I might use it on Old Spot, but I decided I would try to sell it at Springfield to help pay my expenses. Does anyone know what a fair price is for one of these?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Big Jim's lists them for $259 new.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks, I was thinking $150.00 so I guess that's reasonable.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

That would be for a one-piece windshield, right? Makes a big difference.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Yes, If I remember correctly it has a brace that attaches to the cowl at the back of the hood. I need to pull it out of the garage and take a closer look. I've had it for about 35 years.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Check your Private Messages. Thanks.
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

For what it is worth. This flyer from 1948 so it lists just 1947-48 models though the same visor was available thru 1952. I also have the flyer for the 1953-55.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks Richard, it's nice to have more info. I'll have to compare mine to your picture.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Here's a '51 with the factory visor.

Comment

It appears the one in the flyer and the one on the blue car are different.
                    Last edited by 52-fan; 04-29-2011, 05:03 PM.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

My '50 LC had one as in Matthew's image. A bracket mounted on the cowl and the top of the windshield, then a support went from the visor to the bracket.

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but the thought of adding something like a sun visor, or a spot light, to one of my cars is terrifying. I get nervous any time I have to aim a drill at one of my cars. I don't know how many screws it takes to mount one of those things, but it don't look like you get too many chances to get it right.

I wouldn't have any hesitation of working on one if the holes were already there and in the right place, but drilling holes in a good paint job and perfect sheet metal is scary.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, the factory visor like the one on the '51 I posted only requires 2 holes to be drilled in the car. There's 2 screws that hold the little cowl bracket in place, which is mostly covered by the hood. The visor itself clamps down on the rain drip rail. No holes in the roof whatsoever. In fact, we removed the original visor from that car recently to install an NOS one, and once removed you couldn't tell a visor had ever been on it.

Having drilled spotlight holes, and the antenna hole in the '51 pictured... It is a bit nerve racking. However it is pretty cool to use the original templates like the dealers did.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                            It appears the one in the flyer and the one on the black car are different.
                            There were aftermarket visors. I even have installation instructions for one such.
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

Having drilled spotlight holes, and the antenna hole in the '51 pictured... It is a bit nerve racking. However it is pretty cool to use the original templates like the dealers did.
                              I agree on using templates. I could imagine some pretty awful outcomes of not getting a spotlight located properly. Those controls on the inside come pretty close to the steering wheel when installed correct.

Us old guys can remember a special feature about spotlights. Back in the drive-in movie days, feature films would have an intermission while they changed the reels in the projector. During that time, folks with spot lights would dance the spot around on the movie screen.
                              Good times...good memories.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X