The value of Hawk trim.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The value of Hawk trim.

My brother has been in contact with a man who has some supposedly show quality wheel wheel well trim and a few other pieces that he finished for a customer who never picked them up. We need to know about what these pieces are worth. Joe will be reselling them so he will have to adjust his offer, but he wants to be fair. The pieces are from a 62 GT Hawk. We also know that he has a fair rear deck overlay, but he sold some of the rest on eBay. Opinions?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

$500 a set for show quality Wheel Well moldings. People will always complain but they don't comprehend the amount of work it takes to take a mangled one and make it perfect.

Sounds like I'm not the only one dealing with CASO's that hire stainless work done, who then won't show back up (or answer the phone) to pay the bill.
    Last edited by mbstude; 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks Matthew. $500 is a lot of groceries. Good thing that when I had my GT years ago I had a $150.00 dollar parts car to rob the needed pieces from. Of course, my car was not show quality, just a nice driver.
      BTW The parts car was a solid running car with a bad automatic trans. I sold it for 200.00 after swapping a number of pieces.
      Anyone care to opine on some of the other trim. He says that he has the front fender spears and some of the cast pieces.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Matt, Before when you could purchase gas, I would not mind on spending $500 for SS. Since the gas prices have gone North, It would be hard to sell at $500

Comment

Alright, well if someone has show quality wheel well molding sets for sale for less than $500, I'll buy all you have.

95% of the car owners that are restoring cars to a caliber where perfect stainless is needed, well they have the money to spend. People on a budget that are building nice drivers don't want perfect stainless anyway.

Kinda like the complete set of '62 convertible trim that I received that was all still NOS in the paper wrapper. Factory NOS just wasn't good enough for the owner and he didn't mind paying for me to polish it.
          Last edited by mbstude; 04-28-2011, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            Alright, well if someone has show quality wheel well molding sets for sale for less than $500, I'll buy all you have.

95% of the car owners that are restoring cars to a caliber where perfect stainless is needed, well they have the money to spend. People on a budget that are building nice drivers don't want perfect stainless anyway.

Kinda like the complete set of '62 convertible trim that I received that was all still NOS in the paper wrapper. Factory NOS just wasn't good enough for the owner and he didn't mind paying for me to polish it.
            Matt - There is a lot of truth in your last statement. In the 1970s, we purchased NOS Studebaker chrome in South Bend and then had it show plated by a top notch company to be good enough for a show car. Like most things, today's show car is better than it ever was when new. Like it or not, that is how it is.

As far as wheel well trim - I sold my last NOS piece for $50 delivered about 20 years ago and I think that was a give-away price then. In the last few years, I have sold some used pieces for $15 each through this Forum.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X