Very nice looking 58 Champion in WI, $3500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very nice looking 58 Champion in WI, $3500

Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 04-24-2011, 07:53 PM.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Decent looking sedan. I hope it finds a good home with someone who needs 4 doors and is not in a hurry. Six with an automatic would not be most people's first choice, but still it is rare and would get a fair amount of attention.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Aaack! I LOVE it! Absolutely perfect >for me< in every single way possible. 58....six....automatic...pods with single headlights....wide whites....robin's egg...what is there NOT to adore? That and a two tone (pale yellow?, pale green, pale blue?) 56 President Classic with overdrive, and I could die happy...ummm, but just not yet, okay?

Note to self: win a small lottery this week

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
        Aaack! I LOVE it! Absolutely perfect >for me< in every single way possible. 58....six....automatic...pods with single headlights....wide whites....robin's egg...what is there NOT to adore? That and a two tone (pale yellow?, pale green, pale blue?) 56 President Classic with overdrive, and I could die happy...ummm, but just not yet, okay?

Note to self: win a small lottery this week

Just the opposite for me. I might be able to deal with a 4 door V8, but a flat head 6 with a automatic is just too much bad news for resale.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP I'm with you. In 1959 I bought a 1959 Lark 6 with automatic. The slowest car I ever owned. On the highway if i wanted to pass I needed 2 or 3 miles of clear road before I could get it done. Needles to say I got rid of that Studebaker in a hurry. In fact it soured me on the brand so bad I never considered a Studebaker again until 1992 when I got a C cab 2R5. Now I own 3 Larks. 2 are 259 automatics and my Wagonaire has a 289. They are all great cars.
          Fred

sigpic

Comment

In South Bend last May there was a '58 Champion sedan with Automatic for sale for $5500. Same Canyon Copper and Jewel Beige as my old Commander. The South Bend car was all original and in amazing condition. It's no mystery why most of the cars in the best original condition today are 6 cylinder slush boxes that were never driven.

I was recently told about a '63 Lark with 2600 original miles. Yep, it's a six.

I've driven some slooooow 6 cylinder cars and some that were quite peppy and nice to drive. If I were to buy a 6 cylinder car for myself, it'd have to be an old Commander 245.

Comment

Originally posted by Studeguru View Post
              JDP I'm with you. In 1959 I bought a 1959 Lark 6 with automatic. The slowest car I ever owned. On the highway if i wanted to pass I needed 2 or 3 miles of clear road before I could get it done. Needles to say I got rid of that Studebaker in a hurry. In fact it soured me on the brand so bad I never considered a Studebaker again until 1992 when I got a C cab 2R5. Now I own 3 Larks. 2 are 259 automatics and my Wagonaire has a 289. They are all great cars.
              Yep, and the heavier 58 would even be slower. Not my cup of tea for the modern interstates. The odd thing is the 259 would typically get better mileage over the little six working it's heart out. Of course, I once owned a 50 Chevy with Powerglide that was even slower. Even though I owned it in the late 50's, it was a still a pain.
              Last edited by JDP; 04-25-2011, 08:47 AM.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                Just the opposite for me. I might be able to deal with a 4 door V8, but a flat head 6 with a automatic is just too much bad news for resale.
                Yes, I understand that. Please note that I'm wishing for a SMALL lottery win <ggg>

I'm fine with slow. I love doddling around on the two lane 'pretty routes' with an antique car, rather than always getting somewhere fast. I do have a car I could take out today and drive at twice any legal speed limit in Canada, but I don't. I drove my 57 Champion 185 automatic from Toronto to PEI last year on the 4 lanes at 55-60 mph (over 1,000 miles). It is a nicer highway driver than my 49 Kaiser Special without overdrive, which understands 50 mph and not that much more. Now, that is slow!

Comment

Working...
                X