Wheel color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel color

Would any body know what the wheel color would be on a '51 Champion that's body was Sahara Sand?

Thanks, John

I believe Stude literature indicates all '51 wheels were Comanche Red but, when I got my Sahara Sand '51 the wheels were black and, when sanded for repainting, there was no indication of any red prior.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The April 2001 Turning wheels article by Fred Fox says Sahara Sand body color should have Comanche Red wheels, but also says " Normally cars shipped from the factory with full wheel covers and whitewall tires had black wheels". The article contains a chart showing the various color combinations, some were the same as body color (Aqua Green, Concord Blue, Maui Blue). Black Cherry, Midnite Blue, Plaza Gray, Sahara Sand,Surf Gray, and Velvet Black had Comanche Red wheels. Bermuda Green, Comanche Red, Rio Green, and Shenandoah Green had Sahara Sand wheels.

Comment

I think all rims were black on the inside and red on the outside....if I remember correctly
        I do know that I once owned a 60 Lark that had original paint on the rims and they were black on the inside side and body color on the outside.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer to this question as the wheel color could vary depending on the specific manufacturer and model of the '51 Champion. However, it is generally safe to assume that the wheel color would be either black or white, as these were the most popular colors for cars at that time.

Comment

Studebaker was building a lot of cars in 1951. What this meant in the real world is that the company often shipped cars with what they had available at the time. They were not about to shut down a line and wait for a run of a certain color wheel.

Comment

According to the Domestic & Canadian exterior color chart Sahara Sand would have
              Comanche Red wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
                According to the Domestic & Canadian exterior color chart Sahara Sand would have
                Comanche Red wheels.
                That's what I indicated in post Forum to this thread eleven-and-a-half years ago; but my own '51 Commander originally had black wheels.

Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I just noticed that at the bottom of the color chart for 1951 Studebaker Cars it states "Normally cars
                  shipped from the factory with full wheel covers and whitewall tires had black wheels."

Comment

Working...
                  X