From the Archives #79 Truck concept vehicle 1956

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Archives #79 Truck concept vehicle 1956

I may have posted this one before....and maybe not. If so you have now had to see it twice. It is a photo image from the original artwork that I have. By Bob Temple, Studebaker Styling Dept., 8-31-56.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Bob Temple moved to my home town (Longmont, CO) around 1970 and was a designer for Chapperal Industries, a ATV manufacture. He drove a 1961 Hawk and also had a couple of Champ pickups. I spent alot of hours at his house veiwing photos and talking. He said he was the designer of the Champ pickup on a very limited budget. He also told me that he owned a prototype that was going to compete against the 55 Corvette and Thunderbird. He sold it when moving from South Bend. Last I heard of him , he moved to the Northwest (Oregon or Washington). I believe Art Unger became friends with him and probably ended up with alot of his memoribilia.

Comment

How do you not like that design? Really gorgeous. Shoulda coulda.

Comment

I like it, but I think I see some Dodge in it ?

Comment

If you take a piece of paper and place it so that it blocks the view from the hood down, the top of the cab that is exposed looks very much like the cockpit (green house) of the mid 60's International Pickups.

You can see that certain aspects of the design influenced the fiberglass grilles of the 57 and later C-cab trucks.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I didn't think Dodge tell you said it, now I definity see some possible Dodge in the overall design fenders and cab width ect.

Comment

I cant pinpoint Dodge or International influences in this truck as both brands, along with Ford and GM had wraparound windshields by 1957. Can't say it would have been the best looking truck on the roads, but I think it would have been a good seller for Studebaker. Great looking art, would look good in a frame on my living room wall!
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

WAY better than a Dodge.
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I don't see any Dodge in it by 1956. So many truck makes were similar for so many years, but I wish that design had been realized. Looks advanced enough that it may now look like others that came out much later. Thanks for sharing, I haven't seen that one.

Comment

It appears that one might be able to nearly duplicate this truck with a Champ as a base. I love it.
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                      I may have posted this one before....and maybe not.
                      As I recall, John Ernst was selling a scan of it on Ebay a few years ago, and someone here on the forum provided the link when it was being auctioned.

Craig

Comment

New Design

Two thoughts -

First - I like the design and it would have been interesting had Studebaker done something with it around 1956.

Second thought is, I'm glad they did not pursue this design because my '57 would not have existed with its current style if Studebaker had gone to a radically different cab in '56. And, I happen to think the Doehler grilled C-Cabs are the most interesting (IMO, of course! ).
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

Bob Temple last lived in Moses Lake, Wa. at a building that was part of the old Larson AFB. He passed away about 15 years ago, and his collection was sold. I was fortunate to talk with him about his Studebaker days, and I have a blueprint for a 1951 era Stude sports car he was working on (design concept).

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            As I recall, John Ernst was selling a scan of it on Ebay a few years ago, and someone here on the forum provided the link when it was being auctioned.

Craig
                            The story on that.....I had sent a copy of this in hard copy to Chuck Naugle many years ago. In one of John Ernst's visits to see Chuck he saw the photo and took a picture of it and made a few reprints. John sells a lot of neat old reprinted images on Ebay. He no longer sells this particular one however.
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

So many truck makes were similar for so many years
                              Truth be told, they still are.....
                              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X