Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest Jay's better than new, nearly new, and not so new Studebakers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest Jay's better than new, nearly new, and not so new Studebakers.

I am working on a buddy's Commander, and I took these:

Neighbor says it looks like a Stude dealer lot, I tend to agree!

The throttle linkage is the biggest problem right now, rear carb is half throttle before the front one opens. Carbs are gonna get a good going over, and the brakes are in need of serious help as well.

I feel privileged to work on that car, shes a beaut and needs to be road worthy!
    Last edited by Da Tinman; 04-19-2011, 08:33 AM.
    http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Da Tinman View Post
    I am working on a buddy's Commander, and I took these:

The throttle linkage is the biggest problem right now, rear carb is half throttle before the front one opens. Carbs are gonna get a good going over, and the brakes are in need of serious help as well.

I feel privileged to work on that car, shes a beaut and needs to be road worthy!
    I think I'm in love! Oooh Baby.

That's my goal for my engine. Very, very pretty.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

A commander six? Probably approaching the HP of the basic 259 or 232 that would have been in there.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

wow, that 6 is a work of art! I'm luvin it. Junior.
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Hard to believe how beautiful that engine is. Maybe the prettiest 6-banger ever! I couldn't care less what kind of HP it makes. Only problem I'd have is running a hood and fenders that hide it
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

How sweet is that?
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

The throttle linkage is easy enough. You need to make a cross shaft, anchored on bearing plates, probably anchored by #3 and #6 head bolts. Each carb gets a short linkage rod from a lever on the cross shaft, and the linage rod from the existing throttle linkage connects to a lever in the middle of the cross shaft. What you there cannot work, because the two throttle return springs will work against one another through the "Y", using the throttle linkage rod as a fulcrum.

Get some of those little baby Heim ends for 1/4" rod, and use them for bearing plates and linage connectors. That adds to the "cool factor" and would be very much in keeping, style-wise, with the way the engine is done. It's a beauty, by the way.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I didnt build the linkage and I dont need any coaching, but thanks anyway. I been doing this kind of work for a long time. I should also point out that the owner of the car did the motor work and made it very pretty, all I did was help talk him out putting brand X motor under the hood when he first got it.

Its not as easy as you think anyway, the bellcrank on the coil mount makes it a push instead of a pull. Pushing a linkage will show any weak points, and makes any slack or bad geometry very obvious. Its much easier on the linkages and bellcranks if its a pull.

I've already got the carbs modified to work as a pull, got the rocker shaft made, the pivots are in place and use bronze bushings.

I'll have to build a new bellcrank and mount to connect to the pedal linkage so it will pull instead pf push. It will have to be relocated a few inches behind the stocker so it wont have to wrap around a spark plug and be centered on the rockershaft. It will also ride on bronze bushings.

It uses 10/32 (3/16) female hiems and all the linkage rods will be polished stainless.

I have a full shop so I gotta work on this thing outside and it has to be drivable at the end of the day to go back home. Not gonna store this one outside as the weather has turned to crap again. So as soon as the sun starts shining again I'll get back on it.

I love linkages, the more complex the problem the more I like it. It would have been a lot easier to convert it to a cable but I feel that would have been cheating LOL.
                Last edited by Da Tinman; 04-20-2011, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Jay

A sweet motor, When you finish the linkage could you post a shot of the setup.

Secondly, could you also post a wider view of the engine compartment. I have a feeling that there is a lot more good stuff that only shows marginally in the shot.

Again, thanks for posting as it beats trying to keep up with your posts on the HAMB. Your work is creative and quality.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                    A commander six? Probably approaching the HP of the basic 259 or 232 that would have been in there.
                    Is it actually a Commander? The Commander six was not available in that car and I thought the speed parts were very scarce. The picture does not show enough engine for me to be sure.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

like these?

how bout a vid?
                      Last edited by Da Tinman; 04-20-2011, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Okay, it's a Champion engine. Thanks.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Never the less, it's a thing of beauty!

Comment

Left nostril says Commander. Thats what I'm working from.

I'll be the first to admit I know little or nothing about the specifics of the 50's era cars, I'm more into the 60s, 63 larks specifically (the pics are a clue there LOL) so if I'm wrong about some of the details,, dont shoot me LOL.

Comment

the whole car is a beaut!

seeing those pictures of the engine makes me realise how far i've got to go and how much work i've got ahead of me!

Comment

Working...
                              X