PDA

View Full Version : 1964 cruiser goes to the prom

commander56
04-16-2011, 01:15 PM
just got the photos of the daughter of a dear friend going off to the prom last night in our 64 cruiser. turned out to be the hit of the day as all the guys made a bigger fuss over the cruiser than they did over their dates. well i guess at 47 she is still the belle of the ball

r1lark
04-16-2011, 01:19 PM
That's a great way to get exposure for Studebakers with the younger crowd. My hat's off to you!

Bill Pressler
04-16-2011, 01:24 PM
That's a great way to get exposure for Studebakers with the younger crowd. My hat's off to you!

I'm with Paul. Great-looking photo and car...I like Bermuda Brown!

BobPalma
04-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Very good; well done. Congrats. BP

studegary
04-16-2011, 06:49 PM
I never went to a prom when I was in high school. Last Sunday, we went to a prom at the local high school. It was called a Senior Senior Prom. You had to be over 60 to attend.

commander56
04-16-2011, 08:11 PM
the idea was to have the girls show up in a "statement" car compared to all the other "regular" cars and it did exactly that but you guys are right it did expose a whole new generation to the world of studebakers. we have gotten about 20 emails forwarded to us from friends wanting to know about the cruiser and studebakers.

JRoberts
04-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Now this is fantastic. Let's see my granddaughter is 7 so the senior prom should be in 10 years.....I wonder I can have my Cruiser looking that good in ten years?

Gary what Studebaker did you drive to your Prom?

mausersmth
04-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Long ago I took a Studebaker to my prom, or I should say the grand-daughter of a Studebaker! My Hawk wasn't quite prom ready.

Guess since I also have a Bermuda Brown '64 Cruiser, I need to be aware of opportunities like this. I love having people see my car doing what it was designed for, and there are few better ways.

mbstude
04-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I skipped my Senior Prom to attend a Stude meet. I think I made the right choice as driving that Lark R2 4 speed is something that still makes me grin.

4961Studebaker
04-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Drove my 61 to Prom, but I will NOT be sharing the picture's....:p
Spent all day cleaning, waxing.
Think there were more laughs than thumbs up,
as all the limo's drove through the parking lot of the Arrowhead Club
(KC Chiefs Arrowhead Stadium)
Whipper snappers with no classic car appreciation :mad: LOL

Hope the kids had a great time, nothing draws more attention than a classic
car driven by young drivers.
And if they had been eating out at a restaurant the same time I was: I would have
bought their dinner. ;)

Starliner Steph
04-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Great picture. I love it. Never went to my prom but if i had i'd want be in that!

Being totally new to Studebakers, is it a land cruiser? have I got that right?

Bob Caser
04-17-2011, 11:52 AM
I drove my Avanti to my high school senior prom (1965 ) If I hurry and finish it's restoration, again as a senior I will be able to drive it to my first appointment at the Social Security office.

Bob Caser

(S)
04-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Great picture. I love it. Never went to my prom but if i had i'd want be in that!
Being totally new to Studebakers, is it a land cruiser? have I got that right?

Welcome to the SDC Forum Steph, if you are referring to commander56's '64 Cruiser, no it is not a Land Cruiser, the post-war Land Cruisers were built from 1947 to 1954 part of the Commander Line. The "Cruisers" were a continuation of the Land Cruiser long wheelbase, ultra luxury, "Limosette" idea, having large back seat area, fold-down rear arm rests, and opening rear "vent" windows. But they were built on the "Lark Type" body in later years, 1961 to 1966.

Here is the last model year of Land Cruiser, a '54:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/Loaded%20to%20the%20Forum/54GreenLCCalif.jpg

StudeDave57
04-17-2011, 06:33 PM
"The GREEN ZONE is for parking and photographing of Studebakers only-

all others must park in the rear or risk be towed at owner's expense"

JDP
04-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Not a prom, but I loaned a nice GT Hawk to a Naval Academy midshipman's "Ring dance"

Bob Andrews
04-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Very cool! But my prom dates got whatever I was driving at the time. I've always loved cars, but love the ladies a bit more! Wouldn't have missed them for anything. But might have been cooler with something other than a rusty 66 Polara <G>

Kurt
04-17-2011, 07:42 PM
That is really cool. I think it is great when the younger generation can be exposed to classic cars. Maybe my daughter would like one of Dad's Studes for her prom in a couple years

Bob Andrews
04-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Old cars at the prom are a blast! Two years ago my nephew went to the prom in my 65 Lincoln convertible. His parents drove the car, decked out in borrowed chauffer uniforms. They picked up his date, then went to the park for a photo shoot. I followed as the photographer. They went to dinner and the prom, then were picked up in the car for the ride home. Perfect except it was just plain too cold to put the top down. All the kids and parents loved it, the snooty kids and parents were jealous, and I hovered in the background with the camera like a proud poppa:) Good times. Love the kid, and loved that car http://www.dogproductshop.co.uk/smile/love/love0004.gif (http://www.dogproductshop.co.uk)

Wasn't able to find the SD card with those pictureshttp://www.dogproductshop.co.uk/smile/confused/confused0006.gif (http://www.dogproductshop.co.uk)

clonelark
04-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Bermuda brown lites my fire too, and that green 54 L/C is just gorgeous, Very nice color choice, kinda needs fender skirts.

coyote
04-18-2011, 01:08 PM
My Son who is a junior in High School, has been applying steady pressure for me to finish my Hawk in time for his senior prom next year. I told him he needs to do more yard / house work to free up my time to work on it, so I'll be able to get it done. Thats what I call a win / win! I've tried to get him interested in helping me with it, but he's a total sports jock who appreciates old cars, but he has no interest in working on them himself.

jbwhttail
04-18-2011, 03:17 PM
So Matt.................

Does that mean your prom date name was Tina? The Georgia meet still ranks as number one with Nancy and I, you folks know how to have a good time! Wont be long till Springfield.

mbstude
04-18-2011, 03:40 PM
So Matt.................

Does that mean your prom date name was Tina? The Georgia meet still ranks as number one with Nancy and I, you folks know how to have a good time! Wont be long till Springfield.

That works.. I took Tina to the Prom... I sure did like those long legs...!

StudeDave57
04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
I can't be absolutely certain I took a Stude to any of my proms, but I do know that I took a brown car to at least one of them~ unfortunately it was Mom's '77 Chevy Caprice!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

commander56
04-18-2011, 08:32 PM
well since i went to my prom in mom's executive blue cruiser i really loved letting the kids take my bermuda brown one. still getting a few emails about it from parents and grandparents who saw it.

DEEPNHOCK
04-18-2011, 09:29 PM
I drove my '61 Hawk to my high school prom held at Medinah Country Club, in Medinah, IL.
They have held the US Open, The Western Open, the PGA Championship, and some other events there in years back...and will be hosting the 2012 Ryder cup tournament.
I'll always remember the gate man at the stone guard house in his tux telling me not please not to 'hot rod around' while on the property.
(Of course I did not comply to their wishes)
Jeff:cool:
PS: Some Medinah CC info, just for fun.... http://www.medinahcc.org/History-5.html

Mark57
04-18-2011, 09:43 PM
No No... you folks have it all wrong! What you need is a nice Studebaker pickup to go to the Prom in. :cool::D

jeds55
04-19-2011, 07:54 AM
The '64 wagon I drove to prom is still in the garage. More importantly, my date that evening is still by my side.