Edelbrock: Finishing Touches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edelbrock: Finishing Touches

Installation of an Edelbrock 1406 carb (the "economy-tuned" electric choke version of the 600 cfm Performer) was completed yesterday on my '58 President with mildly modified original 289. (Yes I prefer authenticity and respect the WCFB, but lingering issues with this one finally pushed me over the brink.)

Using info from old forum posts, Ray Fichthorn's web page as well as additional guidance from Jeff, I located a decent AFB intake (with date code September '62). Anticipating the use of Mr. Gasket #98 insulator/spacer, the original studs were removed prior to taking the intake for powder coating. Bengal silver (clear-coated) was a close match to the silver engine enamel applied when the engine was rebuilt a little over two years ago. The same shop that built the engine installed the intake and the 1406, did a great shop fabricating new lines. This included relocating the partial-flow filter to accommodate later installation of a Vintage Air system if and when I ever recover from Tax Day.

I've always considered the R1 chrome air cleaner to be a great piece of industrial art. With the optional base plate offered by vendors said to be suitable for the Edelbrock (and the new air cleaner I had purchased on impulse from S-I three years ago), I seemed to have a perfect solution.

This base plate has a pronounced drop, so that it didn't clear the electric choke. This was easily remedied by a 0.5" aluminum ring spacer for the baseplate. Not so easily remedied was the very low position of the filter lid over the carburetor air horn, leaving a very restricted air space over the inlet. A much taller filter element was considered but would have altered the appearance. Finally, the new air cleaner interfered with the oil filler cap at the front of the engine. While the '58 sedan factory air cleaner housing is significantly larger than the R1 unit, it is also offset to the rear for this reason.

In this case an easy solution was the #85-3540 K&N baseplate and matching mounting post, same 14" diameter but allowing 1.5" offset. It's about twenty bucks, it resolved all three issues, the spacer ring wasn't needed.

The carb performs beautifully out of the box, seems to enhance the effect of the "R Plus" cam. Throttle response is dramatically improved. The bit of intake moan evokes memories of a metallic orange L48 Camaro nearly forty years ago. No regrets. Thanks for the guidance.
    Attached Files
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

Very nice job! I am going to use your numbers when purchasing the parts for my conversion on my wifes 61 Hawk.
    Where did you get your "R Plus" cam.
    And have you switched to electronic ignition??
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

The "R+" cam is just the sixty-year-old Iskenderian ST5 regrind. You can get it directly from Isky.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Lovely. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.
        "Intake moan." Ooh, baby.

Comment

Sweet solution with the K&N baseplate.
          Nice work!
          Jeff

Originally posted by riversidevw View Post
          Installation of an Edelbrock 1406 carb (the "economy-tuned" electric choke version of the 600 cfm Performer) was completed yesterday on my '58 President with mildly modified original 289. (Yes I prefer authenticity and respect the WCFB, but lingering issues with this one finally pushed me over the brink.)

Using info from old forum posts, Ray Fichthorn's web page as well as additional guidance from Jeff, I located a decent AFB intake (with date code September '62). Anticipating the use of Mr. Gasket #98 insulator/spacer, the original studs were removed prior to taking the intake for powder coating. Bengal silver (clear-coated) was a close match to the silver engine enamel applied when the engine was rebuilt a little over two years ago. The same shop that built the engine installed the intake and the 1406, did a great shop fabricating new lines. This included relocating the partial-flow filter to accommodate later installation of a Vintage Air system if and when I ever recover from Tax Day.

I've always considered the R1 chrome air cleaner to be a great piece of industrial art. With the optional base plate offered by vendors said to be suitable for the Edelbrock (and the new air cleaner I had purchased on impulse from S-I three years ago), I seemed to have a perfect solution.

This base plate has a pronounced drop, so that it didn't clear the electric choke. This was easily remedied by a 0.5" aluminum ring spacer for the baseplate. Not so easily remedied was the very low position of the filter lid over the carburetor air horn, leaving a very restricted air space over the inlet. A much taller filter element was considered but would have altered the appearance. Finally, the new air cleaner interfered with the oil filler cap at the front of the engine. While the '58 sedan factory air cleaner housing is significantly larger than the R1 unit, it is also offset to the rear for this reason.

In this case an easy solution was the #85-3540 K&N baseplate and matching mounting post, same 14" diameter but allowing 1.5" offset. It's about twenty bucks, it resolved all three issues, the spacer ring wasn't needed.

The carb performs beautifully out of the box, seems to enhance the effect of the "R Plus" cam. Throttle response is dramatically improved. The bit of intake moan evokes memories of a metallic orange L48 Camaro nearly forty years ago. No regrets. Thanks for the guidance.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
            Very nice job! I am going to use your numbers when purchasing the parts for my conversion on my wifes 61 Hawk.
            Where did you get your "R Plus" cam.
            And have you switched to electronic ignition??
            Brian
            No,the ignition is stock and doing fine.

The "R Plus" cam grind is also offered on an exchange basis by some of the veteran Stude parts vendors... Phil Harris (Fairborn Studebaker) and Jon Myer, among others.

Gil
            Gil Zimmerman
            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
            1956 Golden Hawk
            1958 Packard Hawk
            1958 President
            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Gil,

Nice job, I'm pleased to hear that you are happy with peformance of the Edelbrock AFB .... that's what my avanti is getting. I will get to see it April 30th at the Myer Studebaker Tech Meet.
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

That's a great looking engine bay! I like the Edelbrock carbs...they're reliable, easy to work with and hold their adjustments. While I love fuel injection, there's just something about the sound a 4-barrel carburetor makes when the secondaries open that is unmatched.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by riversidevw View Post
                  The carb performs beautifully out of the box, seems to enhance the effect of the "R Plus" cam.
                  Looks great, Gil! I had that same K&N baseplate for my 1405 last year. I used an older oil filler cap that I had to modify with a small dent to accept the original R1 air cleaner. The partial flow oil unit kind of ruins the clean look, I thought.

It looked really nice, but while everything now is R1 on mine, too, I didn't have the vented R1 oil pan to attach to the air cleaner, so I sold it. It was a beautiful air cleaner, but I went back to my NOS 4 barrel cleaner. Your pics makes me wish I had kept it.

Comment

Another day of driving... still love it.

Cold start (if you can call it that in Riverside, CA in April) is fine. It's quite warm here this afternoon, temp gage climbs perhaps more quickly than before when idling in traffic, just fine out on the road. I'm wondering if the use of the ported vacuum for the vacuum advance (no vacuum advance at idle) might be contributing to this. Can't hurt to switch to the other nipple on the driver's side (full manifold vacuum) and try it.

Gil
                    Gil Zimmerman
                    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                    1956 Golden Hawk
                    1958 Packard Hawk
                    1958 President
                    1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                      Lovely. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.
                      "Intake moan." Ooh, baby.
                      As cool as it sounds I've learned that too much intake moan means the jets are too big for the engine or the timing needs to be advanced or both. I've fouind it necessary to lean the 1406 a little even on 350 Chevies that were basically stock, same for a 318 Mopar. Just sayin'

Comment

Oh sure, but, as the girl said at the picnic, how much is too much? My R2 came without its supercharger, and I used it that way for several years. It ran, well, pretty darn good, but it made that sound so well...now it's an "R 2-1/2" and pleases me no end, but it makes a different sound. A good sound, but not the same.

I used a beat-up Bonneville, with maybe a 421?, for a few days in the 70's when I was between a Ford and my Alfa. It wouldn't this, it wouldn't that, of course, but when you put your foot down all the way, a Sousa march played and the sky was full of P-51's. There's a way to imitate that sound by mouth, but you look silly doing it. I darn near hung onto it just for that one noise.

Comment

Working...
                        X