"Pulley & Steering Clearance Issue"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: "Pulley & Steering Clearance Issue"

My '76 Avanti is in the shop getting the 400 taken apart and updated to around 325 hp. When I stopped in the shop yesterday, hood, radiator, hoses, ac, power steering were all out of the way revealing the bottom engine pulley sitting right on top of the center part of the steering. Sitting close enough to where grooves were worn into the top of the steering fitting. Removing the fan belt is impossible with out removing the pulley or raising the motor. Anyone one run into that issue? Motor mounts compressing over time being the cause? Top clearance is also an issue as the quadrajet air cleaner has the paint worn off the top to where it is shiny ("Poor man's Chrome Job"?) from rubbing on the hood pad.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Sounds like new engine mounts are called for.

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
      My '76 Avanti is in the shop getting the 400 taken apart and updated to around 325 hp. When I stopped in the shop yesterday, hood, radiator, hoses, ac, power steering were all out of the way revealing the bottom engine pulley sitting right on top of the center part of the steering. Sitting close enough to where grooves were worn into the top of the steering fitting. Removing the fan belt is impossible with out removing the pulley or raising the motor. Anyone one run into that issue? Motor mounts compressing over time being the cause? Top clearance is also an issue as the quadrajet air cleaner has the paint worn off the top to where it is shiny ("Poor man's Chrome Job"?) from rubbing on the hood pad.
      Yup!!, The belt on my 83 was about 1/4" or less above the bell crank and would not allow it to be replaced without jacking up the engine. That was after new motor mounts. I believe the pulley was about 7 3/4" in diameter. I replaced it with an approx 7" pulley and "problem solved". Remember that will slow down the water pump and alternator. On mine, The cooling remained excellent and the charge is positive on the Ammeter while driving.

The beauty of the SBC is there are tons of pulley combinations too make most any combination work.

Raising the engine on the mounts can cause hood issues but it's another option. Just shim the mounts but I like the pulley solution better.

Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 04-15-2011, 10:18 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Pulley/steering clearance

Thanks guys. I was already thinking new engine mounts, but will also look at a smaller pulley as well.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Can't you just grind a flat on the pulley? Just kidding, of course.

If rubbing the hood pad is the only upper clearance issue cutting a hole in the pad would work. If you have hood contact after motor mount replacement you might consider shimming at the body mounts and radiator support raising the front of the body off the frame a little further...carefully!

Check your carb base gasket. Some of the QJet gaskets are pretty thick and if you are switching the QJet out you might gain some clearance with an Edelbrock or if your keeping the QJet see if a thinner gasket will help.

Make sure a high rise manifold isn't on the engine upgrade list.

Also, you can raise one side and not the other, a little, with no ill effects and you may tilt the air cleaner the right way ti keep it from rubbing.

I've had to do all of those things, not because of pulley issues but exhaust manifold hitting the steering box, carb hat hitting the hood etc.

ErnieR

Comment

Working...
          X