Tach sending unit repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Tach sending unit repair

I had info on a fellow who repaired the Stewart Warner sending units used in 57 and 58, but I can't find it. I tried the search feature but couldn't come up with it either. Anbody have that info?
    Larry Y
    North Wales, PA

I used to, but haven't for a long time. Really about all that goes wrong with them is the brushes wear out and the wiring gets brittle and shorts out. see my web site for more info. if you can handle a soldering iron, and have a hardware store nearby with a well stocked Jandorf cabinet, you can do this.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Nate. I rewired the whole harness, including the tach and sending unit using the original connectors and heavy 3 wire extension cord. (An exact match). I don't have a problem soldering new brushes in. I just can't seem to find brushes that would be suitable.
      Larry Y
      North Wales, PA

Comment

If your brushes aren't too worn, just drive the car for a while. The rotor thing tends to get surface oxidation when it sits for a while, unless you brightened it up when you had it apart, it might take a while for the brushes to wipe the oxidation off of the rotor bit. While I was doing them, if JDP or I had a car with a working tach I'd try to test whatever I'd been working on, either the sender or tach head, just so as not to disappoint anyone, and quite often after reworking an old tach sender and installing it for the first time, it would not work for 5-10 minutes after installation, and then would come to life.

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Brent Hagen in Portland, OR can repair most senders.
          ghawk352 (at) effectnet.com
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
          X