silicone rubber gasket material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silicone rubber gasket material

In April turning wheels the article in Co-Operator about oil seals DG stated he used neoprene materials instead of the cork supplied with the oil pan gasket kit, he also thought silicone rubber would even be better.

Where can one get these materials in 1/2 x 1/2 x length square and rectangular 1/4 x 3/4 x length

If you follow Dwain's Oil Pan Gasket replacement instructions in TW, TO THE LETTER, You will not have a problem using the Fel-Pro original type cork gaskets if they are fresh, NEW stock.

He may very well be the only person who has ever tried using rubber arch gaskets.

Comment

forrest

There is a classification of industrial suppliers who specialize in "Rubber and Gasket" materials, just as there are suppliers for bearings, pumps, pneumatics, and hydraulics. Try an internet search for your area and see what comes up. The trick will be finding one who 1) has a sales counter for walk-in business, 2) sells to the public and 3) does not require a minimum order. Often you can buy these materials in sheets and even get technical help. I have found a little humility when approaching these folks goes a long way in getting good service.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That's great! It's humid as all heck around here!
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The TW article info is great...and it is info that is only 30+ years old....
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes, I have used rubber replacements for the end pieces. I did that because I'm convinced that many 'rear main seal' leaks are actually leaking between the oil pan and a shrunken cork gasket. The first one I did many years ago, in my six cylinder Standard ex-City of Seattle car. For the piece on the rear main cap I used the gasket that goes under the timing cover of a small block Chevrolet. Any shop that does engine work probably has a drawer full of these. There is a thin version and a thick version. Use the thick version. Rubber to fit the front filler block was harder to find at that time. I ended up using a bungee cord. I found some that were flat on both sides, right width, right thickness. I spent a few weeks testing them to see how they would react to oil and gasoline before I decided they would work. I did this in a V8 engine also some years ago. Both these cars have stayed dry underneath.
            One thing that happened on the first installation. The pan fits so tightly that it tore the SBC gasket right in the middle. I had to take the pan back off and grease the next seal.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
            X