Is there a way to tell....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Is there a way to tell....

Is there a way to tell from the build sheet what axle ratio my R-1 Avanti (with auto) has?
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Production Order

John - In my experience with several Production Orders, the axle ratio is printed right on the PO under the "Axle Ratio".
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Chances are, it was built with a 3.73. Forty-eight years later, could be anything. Why not just put it on a hoist and count the driveshaft vs. wheel revs? Takes less than five minutes.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
        John - In my experience with several Production Orders, the axle ratio is printed right on the PO under the "Axle Ratio".
        I don't see that on my copy....engine, body, key numbers, yes. But no Axle Ratio box.
        Honest....

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Chances are, it was built with a 3.73. Forty-eight years later, could be anything. Why not just put it on a hoist and count the driveshaft vs. wheel revs? Takes less than five minutes.
        jack vines
        No hoist...
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

John

Take it out on the highway with your GPS and run at a fixed speed. Record RPM and speed, when you return home measure rear tire diameter and plug them into the speed/gear ratio equations on the internet. With the final drive at 1:1 the only unsolved variable is rear ratio.

I know!!!! No Gps

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
            No hoist...
            Do it the easy way if you really want to know. Take it down to the local garage and have them figure it out. Pay their rate and have it serviced at the same time. Problem solved...Oh no money either.
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Is there no ratio tag under one of the diff. cover bolts?

Comment

Many of those tags have been lost over the years.
                I do as Jack suggests; jack it up, rotate the tires and compare revolutions to revolutions of driveshaft.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

No hoist, no speedo, no tach, no GPS, no money left...no foolin'
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Gotta Jack? use it to lift one wheel. With the other three wheels blocked and the transmission in neutral, mark a chalk mark on the drive shaft and on the wheel. You count the revs of the drive shaft while someone turns the wheel one revolution. Divide by two for the ratio.

Don't tell me, you got TwinTraction too. in that case wait till you get money.

Comment

The Ratio USUALLY, only shows up on CAR Production Orders when a non-standard Ratio is special ordered. An R1 Automatic normally came with a a 3.31 Ratio, the R2's are usually 3.73.

Comment

Working...
                      X